How to remove cylinder heads

-

charger426

Reaction score
I'm tearing down my 440 and for the life of me I can't get them the heads to break their hold onto the block. I have all of the cylinder head bolts out but no matter how I pry on them or beat on them they will not break free. Is there some special trick that I'm missing here? I mean take bolts out head comes off seemed pretty straight forward to me.

I wack em with a rubber mallet for awhile then lift up from the exhaust ports usually works for me

Four bolts on top, five in the middle, eight on the bottom, seventeen total. Best recount. If all bolts are out, then it's dynamite and tire tools.

No wait, twayne has a better idea.

I have 5 in between the valves and 8 on bottom. The four on top your taking about are the intake bolts right? Just so we are clear intake is off vally pan is out as well. Not sure if someone would attempt to take cast iron intake and 2 cast iron heads off as one package. I know I'm not.

The four on top are between the intake runners down in the head. Not the best but may give you an idea..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 246
I have 5 in between the valves and 8 on bottom. The four on top your taking about are the intake bolts right? Just so we are clear intake is off vally pan is out as well. Not sure if someone would attempt to take cast iron intake and 2 cast iron heads off as one package. I know I'm not.

I am not referring to the intake manifold bolts. If you don't have 17 bolts in hand you still have 4 head bolts on each side of the intake runners to remove.

Better pic.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 238
Yeah I missed the ones by the intake runners. I have new rockers so I was just going to take the heads off complete and missed those bolts. Just took off both heads in about 2 seconds. Thank you guys for your help! First time doing a build but looking forward to learning and having a fun car when I'm done!

As a safety hint; any time you are trying to pry a 'stuck' head off (after you've ensured all head bolts are out) I would recommend placing one bolt back in semi-loosely (preferably one near the center of the head). That way, if you pry on the head, and it suddenly gives way, it won't fall onto the floor or your toes.

As a safety hint; any time you are trying to pry a 'stuck' head off (after you've ensured all head bolts are out) I would recommend placing one bolt back in semi-loosely (preferably one near the center of the head). That way, if you pry on the head, and it suddenly gives way, it won't fall onto the floor or your toes.

Yep I did do that when I was prying on it.

-
Back