How to remove spark plugs from 1966 Plymouth Valiant

-

flynlady

Reaction score
225 Slant Six ... having a hell of time getting the spark plugs out ... any suggestions??

I just got the car and this is my first tune-up on it ... THANKS!

What exactly is the problem? You got the right spark plug socket? You might try removing the rubber out of the socket, it could be keeping you from reaching deep enough.

not hard, proper plug socket and a 3/8 ratchet as well as a couple extensions and your set, make sure you turn it the right way; plugs are hollow and break off easy

Just be careful around #1 spark plug. Don't hit the alternator output with your ratchet or sparks will fly. I usually pull the battery cable off first.

Ok ... APPARENTLY, the heads are from a later model requiring 5/8 hex plugs BUT the plugs that are in the engine now are 13/16 and they're not even screwed in tightly just TOTALLY wrong size! My VERY patient husband is painstakingly removing the old plugs with vice grips ... Aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!

Ok ... APPARENTLY, the heads are from a later model requiring 5/8 hex plugs BUT the plugs that are in the engine now are 13/16 and they're not even screwed in tightly just TOTALLY wrong size! My VERY patient husband is painstakingly removing the old plugs with vice grips ... Aaarrrrgggghhhhh!!

Don't you have a 13/16 deep socket? If not hit a pawn shop, they usually have some cheap.

If they are loose put on a piece of fuel line on them and see if they will screw out easier.

There is no room for the socket in the plug well with the big plugs. Be sure to pull the wells out and make sure they have not been damaged by the last ape who put the plugs in.

I have 13/16 socket but well is too small to get around wrong size plug in head ... all good now, got 'em out and replaced with proper 5/8 hex size plugs!

Now all that's left is to hunt down the moron who put'em there in the first place, LOL.

I remember a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time ago, kid asked me to help him tune -up about a 62 'Vette he'd bought-----------sounds.......................ssssssssssssssss simple, right?

WRONG

This was the early '70's right after the first peanut plug heads came out for SB chivvies, and that is what he had. Some idiot had put long reach 13/16 plugs in---just like you just took out of your /6. We didn't realize right away he had "peanut plug" heads and tried to install standard short-reach 13/16 plugs--used in any other older SB Chev, but they would not start, because of the recessed chamfer in the threads. I FINALLY realized what he had, we got some 5/8 hex plugs, and fixed that much

WORSE he had a weird ignition called a "Du-coil." These were a strange ignition with dual points and dual coils---each set of points fired separate coils, and a special cap and rotor routed the spark voltage. Truely a POS to set up, without a scope. Even in San Diego in the 70's you could NOT find parts for the dammed things

1e5bf9c9.jpg

fd5afa06.jpg

-
Back