How to restore an A-body Mopar, what I learned the hard way.

-
This statement is a little overblown. The Dusters and Demons/Darts only varied in weight by a few hundred pounds from 1970-1976. I wouldn't call that "a lot" heavier for the newer models. And let's not forget the Dart Sport Light and Feather Duster models in later years.

Everyone seems to have a hang-up with the so-called "massive" bumper assemblies from '73 on, but they aren't THAT much larger than the bumpers on some earlier A-bodies (Don't believe me? Put a '69 Dart and a '73 Dart Sport side by side and compare). Plus, it was easy to remove the rubber bumperette assemblies.

Finally, horsepower ratings on the 340 V-8 didn't change from '72 to '73 (240 horses both years). And horsepower actually increased in '74 with the 360, which was rated at 245 horses.

I currently own a 75 Dart, there is a lot more metal added than just the bumpers. THere are metal beams behind the bumpers, the bumper shock mounts, very heavy gauge door beams, heavier door glass, extra bracing underhood and under dash, extra trunk bracing, heavier suspension, k-frame, ac/heater assembly, seats, etc. While some of these parts are only a few pounds heavier, they add up. My 68 Dart with the same options as my 75 weighs in at 2950 with a small block, while my 75 tips the scales at 3450. Thats 500 lbs more, or about 15% heavier. Simply put, with the same HP, the 75 will always be slower. Its hard to imagine the weight difference, but having taken both cars apart, you can start to see the difference. If you dont beleive me, lfit up a 68 door compared to a 75, while they look the same from the outside, the 75 is significantly heavier.

-
Back