How to "rough in" front end alignment after rebuild?

-
Cool Brother Woodworker! So, do you use a 2' level on the tire, and string line from the rears at midpoint? To a fixed point, ahead of the front wheen and tire assembly, then back pull off the string to get a # for the front toe in? I'm one of them " hands in kinda guys"
Yes. Keep in mind that you have to start from from "zero" being that the car is on a level surface and the wheels are in a "neutral" position. Also try to take all your measurements from a fixed point which I usually mark on the floor and wheel so I can set up and measure consistently. It's not perfect and there are so many variables involved, that for me it's a matter of trial and error, adjusting and driving until it looks and more importantly feels right.

Yes. Keep in mind that you have to start from from "zero" being that the car is on a level surface and the wheels are in a "neutral" position. Also try to take all your measurements from a fixed point which I usually mark on the floor and wheel so I can set up and measure consistently. It's not perfect and there are so many variables involved, that for me it's a matter of trial and error, adjusting and driving until it looks and more importantly feels right.
Kickn Tail there! I'll have to "fab" something. It SUCKS The Old School guys laid down their tools..

I don't get it. What do You bolt it down, ( the 2x4 with the nail) so it doesn't walk around? I've never seen it done....Sorry to Bother Ya Dell. Or is it better to run a string/ laser off the rear tires as a benchmark. And measure in from that?
I don't do toe that way if that is what your referring to. Crackedback mentions this. He just lays a board outside of each tire on top of something to block it up so you are measuring about spindle height, and sticks out the front/ rear of the tire so you can lay a tape across for toe measurement.

I don't do toe that way if that is what your referring to. Crackedback mentions this. He just lays a board outside of each tire on top of something to block it up so you are measuring about spindle height, and sticks out the front/ rear of the tire so you can lay a tape across for toe measurement.
Like a 28" 2x4, on a cinder block?

-
Back