how to seperate a clutch fan...out of the car

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys

I am installing a A/C compressor on the 360 that will go into the duster
when I got the compressor the clutch was included but not mounted to the compressor (makes sense, there is no way to take it off the bracket with the clutch on)

now, here is my problem, I cant seem to figure out how to take the clutch apart so I can mount the backing plate back unto the compressor

any thoughts?

Hi,

I think I know what you're trying to do But, let me ask is this an RV-2 Chrysler compressor. Also, is the clutch assembly back on the compressor? To pull the clutch back off remove the bolt in the center of the clutch that holds it to the compressor shaft. Then thread in a 5/8-11 bolt into the clutch center and use it to press of the clutch from the compressor shaft. There is a woodruff key in there also don't loose it.

yup, its the 2 cylinder unit

the way you describe it would leave the backing plate on the compressor and the three little screws that hold it on exposed
now, imagine those 3 screw pulled out and the backing plate but back into the clutch
that's the situation

I need to figure out how to get the backing plate out of the clutch so I can reassemble it on my 360

Okay, I think I understand. What you are calling the "backing Plate" is an electro-magnet coil that energizes the clutch assembly causing it to pull in and drive the compressor. It should be a slip fit into the clutch assembly and easily lift out by using your fingers in the inner mounting hole. There is nothing mechanically, like a bolt, holding it in there. If it won't easily lift out there may be something , like that missing woodruff key, jamming it in there.

To reassemble the clutch assembly on a compressor those three little screws hold the magnet coil assembly to the face of the compressor and the compressor shaft is centered in the hole in the coil. When the clutch is installed back on the compressor shaft the clutch should freely rotate around the magnet coil.

It is definitely not lifting get out by hand
The key is still on the shafts so that can't be it

Maybe a few pictures of this clutch assembly would help understand what's going on. Because right now, I'm at a loss to understand why this is happening.

I went out into the garage to take a few pics this morning and stubborn as I am I tried to wiggle it a little more

turn out what I thought was just a backing plate actually has a 2 inch coil mounted to it, which fits tightly in the clutch

it took me quite a bit of wiggling (and prying with the tail end of a claw hammer) but I got her off now

looking back, I must not have been pulling it straight out

thanks for all your help

Good to hear the mystery has been solved. I knew the thing should have come out as there is nothing mechanically attaching it.

-
Back