how to soften windshield rubber

-

rick4106

Reaction score
how to soften windshield and back glass rubber or should we replace ?

It's not supposed to be rubber band soft. By the time I get one cleaned of old sealant it's flexible enough for reuse. I can bend it 99 ways and it doesn't crack, Good to go.
The service manual instructions state " Check the gasket mounting flange ( fence ) and correct any bends". That's because the gasket can't conform to a bend in the flange since the glass doesn't bend.
I've held only one of the brand new reproduction gaskets ( for Duster ). Flemzy piece of crap in my opinion.

I used mineral spirits and some thinner when that ran out , lots of elbow grease and you will be black all over from the old sealer , try looping a rag over a dull flat blade screwdriver for in the deep grooves , it took me a couple of hours each night for 2 nights after work but I re -used both mine and the glass guy was impressed enough to offer to pay me to do a pair for his little 66 barracuda but I laughed and declined ,to much work but way better than the repro ones

You might not be able to find a new one now anyway.. The ones for my Duster are onbackorder with no new ones in sight.. i will be cleaning the one for my back glass but I did find a new one for the rear. Good Luck.

Cheap table, chair, Gulf charcoal starter works better for me than mineral spirits. I have 2 plastic tools for the chore. One was a tent stake. The other was meant for de-veining shrimp. Lots of rags cut from old clothes. And hours.

yep there 's no clean easy way thats for sure , someone recommended enamel reducer but thats like 60 bucks a gallon around here with no smaller container for sale so I went for the cheaper spirits

-
Back