How to start my '74 without a dash?

-

low_kota

Reaction score
I have had the dash out of my dart for about a year and I don't plan on putting it back in until I have the body work finished and paint the car. Until then what is the best way to start the car? It's gonna be at least a few years before I'm ready to put it all back together and I don't want it to sit there that long without running. The steering column is still in the car and all of the dash wiring is there its just not connected to anything.

Did this with my 68 so I could move it around while I was doing bodywork and such.

Just take the two big wires that connect to the ampmeter on the back of the gauge cluster and connect them together. Then you should be able to start and drive the car with the dash out. p.s. wrap the connection in some electrical tape so you dont cause a short if the wire should touch metal anywhere.

Or, run a wire from the battery + to the coil + and jump the solinoid to start it.

Whatever you do tape the ammeter wires off for safety. If you leave them unhooked, you won't have to worry about anything in the dash shorting, an unhooked connector

Easiest way to hot--wire a 70/ later car is to hook a clip lead from the battery to the BLUE field connector on the alternator. This puts the ballast resistor "in the circuit" and you can jumper the solenoid.

-
Back