how to take wiper switchout of cluster??

-
I've been told there is a special tool to do it best. I'm seeing Dan201 on Thursday afternoon, he has one and will use it to take it off for me.

Not sure what it looks like, but my nut is seized on there tight. If it's not seized I've been told that it can be taken off with a screw driver but you chance some damage!

Is yours on there tight or rusted?

Big E

If you have 90 degree snapring plier you can put a counterclock wise pressure on the nut while wiggling the switch itself from behind. I have used a small pick to bump the nut but I've made a tiny scar in a bezel too. Good luck

thanks redfish!! perfect advice, i just used a tiny screwdriver to hold the nut, but it cam e right off!!

does the knob for the headlights just pull off, cause mine is not budging

The shaft of the headlight switch is held in place by a spring loaded button located on the back side of the switch. Pull the shaft out to the on position and while holding the button down, you can pull the shaft out of the switch and gain access to the nut holding the switch in the dash. You may have to slide the shaft back and forth a little while holding the button down firmly but it will pull out the front. I think the release button is on the top side of the switch right on the back side of the bezel.

does the knob for the headlights just pull off, cause mine is not budging

A reference picture from a spare Instrument Panel, the screwdriver is pointing to the button. Pull out the light switch to turn the lights on, press this button, and the shaft will come right out. To reinstall, just push the shaft into place, no need to mess with the button.

04.jpg

If you actually need to remove the nut, here's the "special tool" you need...
get a common metal dinner fork, (not your wife/mom's best, obviously) bend over/cut off the center two tines if it's a normal 4 tine model...and there you are! Careful use of a small pair of needle nose plyers can get the job done too.
Another cheap tool, for glue on emblem removal...get a butter knife (non- serrated) and slip it in the tool box on the next trip to the junkyard. Works like a dream.
Sometimes the best stuff is in cars at the junkyard, not from them....

Dan201 got my washer switch clamp off, it was cross threaded so the previous owner got it stuck halfway then just left it!!

If it's in there properly, no special tool is needed to remove it.

The Big E

-
Back