How to tell if 440 Chrankshaft is drilled for 4-Speed/Pilot Bushing??

-

ToMang07

Reaction score
So when I bought my "Running 440, doesn't need anything, maybe new rings" motor, the guy was full or crap. Heads were completely screwed, not a valve seal was complete and not one cylinder held any pressure. Frozen lifters, frozen wrist pins, etc. 6-pack was fort a B-block, not a RB, yeah, BS artist. Got me. It absolutely needed a rebuild.

Anywho, on the list of lies was that the crank was drilled for a 4-speed. I can't find any reliable info on how to check short of "buy a pilot bushing and see if it fits."

Can anyone tell from this pic (for sure) or tell me how to check?

Drilled y o n.jpg

Comparing diameter is the only way I would know of. If it's undersize YOU NEED TO CHECK DEPTH. Only way I'd know is find someone who can provide "figures" ..........the depth from engine bell surface to end of transmission shaft, then justify that from the engine bell surface to bottom of crank hole.

.........or.......jig the crank up in a block.........install a bell.......and then measure the the transmission mount surface to bottom of crank, and compare to your gearbox shaft length

Another way around this problem is to just drill the "end" area enough to clear the shaft length "if necessary" and then use the large Magnum/ Jeep style bushing / bearing which fits in the torque converter recess

You don't need to drill it "full diameter," there fore not wrecking the crank, and you don't even need a lathe......just use a big--*** drill and be careful not to "hog out" the outer diameter

FWIW, This is what I came up with on an automatic crank. The .890" diameter would need to be opened for the standard bushing. The crank depth 2.225" is plenty for a standard uncut input shaft.

CrankDepthDiam1.jpg

BTW, Here's the crank flange I got my dimensions from. Looks similar to the OP............
CrnkFlgNoBush.gif

Last edited:
A couple time I used a pilot bushing from napa that fit in a automatic crank. The input shaft went in about 2 1/8 inches past were it stared into the bushing.

There's a lot of good info posted above, but in my experience, it's never close. Either you have a very shallow hole like the one posted in the top picture that's NOT drilled, or you have a hole deep enough to stick your index finger into about to the second knuckle.

-
Back