How to tell if i have a sure grip center??

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Just curious if there is any way to find out what i have before i install it. When i bought it years ago i was told it was 3:55gears and suregrip.

Is there any way to make sure? And if so how do i tell if it is a clutch or cone type? Do they both take the same gear lube?

Any way to make sure i have 3:55 gears before i put it in there?

I ordered new bearings today so I just thought i would try to find out what i have since i cant really just install it and find out what gear ratio by turning the driveshaft/tires. It is stamped 2881489 with a triangle next to the numbers. Above the numbers is a number 2 and below is a small casting of 82. It also has a large 6 cast on the side of it. Not sure if any of this matters at all.

First thing you can do is jack up the car so both rear wheels are off the ground. In neutral rotate a wheel forward, if the opposite wheel moves the same direction you have a sure grip, if it rotates the opposite way you don't. To check the gear ratio, while jacked up make a mark at 12 oclock on your tire and another on your driveshaft. Now as you rotate the wheel, count the number of rotations the driveshaft makes. 3.5 times to 1 of the wheel would yield a 3.55 to 1 gear ratio. Usually a 741 or 742 case(last 3 casting numbers of the housing) will have a clutch style sure-grip and the 489 case will have the cone style.

Another method to test whether you have a sure-grip or not: At a stop place foot on accelerator and depress to floor. If there are two marks left on the pavement you have a sure-grip, one mark you have a peg leg. :burnout:

Sounds like the center section (pig) is sitting on the floor if so count the number of teeth on the pinion gear and crown gear and divide one into the other for your ratio. Your 7 digit number above says that this is a 489 and yes the cone and clutch type take the same rear end oil with the small bottle of friction modifier.

Ok so im pretty sure i do have the cone style. Also while looking at the gear i found it was stamped 3.55 s. So that would be my 3.55 gears. Also if i spin the gear in one direction both bearings where the axle inserts into the carrier spin in the same direction so it should be sure grip i beleive i am going to try posting a pic in a bit.

I cant seem to get the photos to load just keeps saying failed on the top. Not sure what to do mine mite be wrong file or something.

pic files are likely too large.

Might have to resize them to load.

Some people mix up the open with cone style. If you look at the side where the ring gear bolts attach the gear, is there another set of bolts on a smaller diameter inside the ring gear bolts? If so, you have a cone style.

ok it does have the smaller bolts and can see the springs in the window. At least now i know i do have the correct gears and a sure grip unit. Although if i do tilt the unit from side to side i can hear the peice in the center moving. Is that common?? Its the peice with the splines the axles slide in too. Im guessing once the axles are in it wont be a problem.

sure grips..

powerloc.jpg

155_0308_gear_6_z.jpg

open

rearend2.jpg

It sounds like you have the Borg Warner Spin Resistant Sure-Grip. I rebuilt mine. It was really easy. You can get new springs and spacers. You have the cones machined 40 thousands, put in the spacers and new springs and it is a done deal. I will send you the information on where you can get parts if you are interested. Let me know. My e mail is; [email protected]

Dave

Sounds like the center section (pig) is sitting on the floor if so count the number of teeth on the pinion gear and crown gear and divide one into the other for your ratio. Your 7 digit number above says that this is a 489 and yes the cone and clutch type take the same rear end oil with the small bottle of friction modifier.

I don't believe you need the friction modifier for the cone type.

ok it does have the smaller bolts and can see the springs in the window. At least now i know i do have the correct gears and a sure grip unit. Although if i do tilt the unit from side to side i can hear the peice in the center moving. Is that common?? Its the peice with the splines the axles slide in too. Im guessing once the axles are in it wont be a problem.

Probably the thrust block you hear moving, that will become stationary between the axles once end play is adjusted.

Dave thanks i will shoot ya an email.

Badsport, I beleive that is exactly what it is moving. Just wanted to make sure before i put it in the car.

Thanks everyone
Mark

-
Back