How would this Alt. perform with underdrive pulleys?

-
With underdrive pulleys or with normal pulleys it is still a chromed low quality rebuild alternator. If you want a good output level and underdrive pulleys I would find a small pulley for a denso.

it is still a chromed low quality rebuild alternator.

Do you know this for fact or are you just sayin? I DO mean this as a legit question

I know nothing about the "tuffstuff" alternators

But to the OP, why do you want "underdrive?" Your car doesn't appear to be an all out strip machine.

Poorly. Very poorly.

That was a 70 amp alternator on the best day it ever had. Reworking the stator for higher amperage trades low end output power & peak voltage for more amps.

This means it does not put out much at low speeds, then you cripple an already limping alternator by driving it even slower. Even spun up, many of those "High amp" alternators have trouble making more that 13.5 volts.

That old mopar alternator was a trendsetter 45 years ago. It was a 37 amp unit. The very last of them were 70 amp units. So called "100 amp" versions of that unit are highly suspect. The slots in the stator only have so much space. To carry more current, they wind it with heavier gauge wire. So there is no way to have as many turns through each slot with thicker wire.

What sort of current loads do you have that make you want a 100 amp alternator?

B.

maybe i'm thinking wrong? i'm going to add vintage air and a small amp for rear speakers and a dual dash speaker set up AND the billet pulleys i have are underdrive. i figured a higher amp alt would maybe compensate for the underdrive pulleys :-k

A common misconception. Many of the really high output units in car audio competition put out only a few amps at idle.

For A/C & a little audio? a brand new 70 to 80 amp unit if you want to stay stock appearing. You will lose a little idle output with the underdrive pulleys.

Or a 3G/4G hybrid with a stock stator. The 3G puts out around 70 amps at idle, with a top end of 130 stock. This would be an internally regulated unit.

We discussed these two units last year:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=166513&highlight=cargo+alternator

I have not bought another mopar style alt since then, but do give John a call and ask him what he can do for your car & budget.

B.

Do you know this for fact or are you just sayin? I DO mean this as a legit question

I know nothing about the "tuffstuff" alternators

No proof about low rebuild quality, but that is a chrylser sourced alternator housing and the majority of large scale rebuilders supply units that are unreliable.

maybe i'm thinking wrong? i'm going to add vintage air and a small amp for rear speakers and a dual dash speaker set up AND the billet pulleys i have are underdrive. i figured a higher amp alt would maybe compensate for the underdrive pulleys :-k

The true answer to this is finding the actual engineering specs for SPECIFIC alternators.

I saw some charts here awhile back comparing SIMILAR same brand (Delco?) alternators of similar design and DIFFERENT amperage.

In at least one case, a LOWER output (45a?) alternator put out significantly more power at lower RPM than did the higher ??70-80A unit.

-
Back