How would you build a low 10’s street car

-
My recipe would be an A body, 440 with a 4.50 stroke, Sidewinder heads, stock rockers and shafts but a long duration hydraulic flat tappet cam that won't kill the rockers and pushrods. An old grind that could be gotten fron Comp is pretty hairy for a lot of motors, but would work well hear. Specs are 268 at .050 tappet lift, .540 lift with stock rockers. Should make about 550 hp just over 4800 to 5000 rpm? and would want a 3.55 rear gear or less. A well built 11 inch converter is all it needs. A pair of frame connecters, six point cage with swingout bars, and hear is where i would spend some $$- rear shocks. Hemi pan and pickup with an external feed is the only odd expense- but needed with the big stroke. If anyone has run a bigger stroke like 4.75, i would go for that too.

Gather up 60k cash.
Say good bye to it.
Say good bye to another 15k every year. More if you race it regularly.
Hope your neighbors don\t hate you.

This dudes a ton of fun at parties!

my stupid version of this game would be to use the 9.0 deck W8 I have here.... dry sump and all. I’d want to go FI and do everything possible to run a stock flat hood. Trans would be a 42 or maybe even a 46RH. Ladder bars would go away and a coil sprung rear would go in its place.

This dudes a ton of fun at parties!

my stupid version of this game would be to use the 9.0 deck W8 I have here.... dry sump and all. I’d want to go FI and do everything possible to run a stock flat hood. Trans would be a 42 or maybe even a 46RH. Ladder bars would go away and a coil sprung rear would go in its place.
Ok, so you don't like my suggestion.
So, go out and buy a Challenger Demon, if you can find one for sale. Now you have a 10 sec car that can be used for a driver. As long as you don't mind all the "purists" whining about why you are driving it and or racing it. Way too many people in this hobby are going to be judgemental no matter what path a person follows with their own build. I have never owned a legitimate 10 second car. Never had any desire to. I know a good number of racers who own cars that are capable of anything from 7 to 10 second 1/4 miles. I also know that the road to that level is extremely costly, and that few of them will drive their car on the street.

High 10's are easy, low 10's takes a lot more work and money. My Duster had a bunch of 10 second time slips in the glove box when I bought it. It was all steel, stock suspension, full interior car with a high compression 400 engine and fenderwell headers. It ran 10.90 at 122 mph. No roll bar, no cage, no slicks. Previous owner drove it to the track and ran 10.90's until he was kicked off all of the local tracks. So that part is easy. But if you want to go low 10's then you need to spend a bunch more money to make the car safe and legal.

Ok, so you don't like my suggestion.
So, go out and buy a Challenger Demon, if you can find one for sale. Now you have a 10 sec car that can be used for a driver. As long as you don't mind all the "purists" whining about why you are driving it and or racing it. Way too many people in this hobby are going to be judgemental no matter what path a person follows with their own build. I have never owned a legitimate 10 second car. Never had any desire to. I know a good number of racers who own cars that are capable of anything from 7 to 10 second 1/4 miles. I also know that the road to that level is extremely costly, and that few of them will drive their car on the street.

Whiny purist are everywhere. "Look he's racing his z28?" Why is he treating his cobra like that?" "If I had that super bee" ect ect.

High 10's are easy, low 10's takes a lot more work and money. My Duster had a bunch of 10 second time slips in the glove box when I bought it. It was all steel, stock suspension, full interior car with a high compression 400 engine and fenderwell headers. It ran 10.90 at 122 mph. No roll bar, no cage, no slicks. Previous owner drove it to the track and ran 10.90's until he was kicked off all of the local tracks. So that part is easy. But if you want to go low 10's then you need to spend a bunch more money to make the car safe and legal.
That 10.90s car could probably go very low tens/high nines with just a 250 shot, and slicks. The catch is "safe and legal". Lol. The tracks i race at frown (a lot!) on nine second cars without a roll bar.

Either y'all scared the OP off or he's planning a sneak attack lol.... Ain't none of this cheap and easy. I think that's the summation of this thread lol.... Unless you go get one of these haha....

JW

steve corvette.jpg

That 10.90s car could probably go very low tens/high nines with just a 250 shot, and slicks. The catch is "safe and legal". Lol. The tracks i race at frown (a lot!) on nine second cars without a roll bar.
Yeah I have enough parts in my shop to roadkill a low 10 second car together for just a few thousand bucks. It wouldn't be safe and it wouldn't be legal but it would run low 10's.

-
Back