Howard’s cam valve springs

-

Daniel Dugas

Reaction score
Hey guys I was looking at this cam for my motor but couldn’t find any valve springs rated for it could anyone help me out? Was gonna run a comp cam but am kinda shaky about it after all the problems. Thanks!

IMG_2865.png

IMG_2866.png

If you do not have the required specs,
call Howard’s and ask for their recommended spring or spring specs for pounds per inch, installed seat pressure and open spring pressure.

Last edited:
First. what heads do you have? Have they been machined for a Dual spring? More cylinder head info is needed.

I wouldn’t worry about running a Comp spring. There springs are not the issue but it’s everyone’s camshafts and not just comps camshafts.

I have the hydraulic flat tappet Speedmaster heads. They come with dual valve springs, retainers, etc. fully assembled with the springs rated for .600 lift

PAC is a major supplier of valve springs, you might reach out them direct.
One thing to consider if that is a flat tappet camshaft you’ll probably have to run dual valve springs, and during break and it’s usually recommended that you remove the inner valve spring break it in with the outer springs only. If it is a roller cam, you should be good to go with both springs during break in.

Home | PAC Racing Springs

AFAIK, there are a lot less issues with breaking in solid flat tappet cams as opposed to hydraulic flat tappets. There are still the basics to cover like ensuring the lifters rotate in the bores after installation by the rotationof the camshaft and proper oil and additives for flat tappets. Howards has a download of their 2016 catalog where you can see what springs they recommend and then spring specs in the corresponding sections. As stated, we can find you a set of springs that will work for minimum expense, but we’ll to need to know what type of heads and valves you’re using or have an installed height.

-
Back