Howards or Hughes Camshaft

-
I think a lot of the problems people had with the early (10+years ago) Hughes cams stemmed from them being ground by Engle. That was about the time the ZDDP level in most of the motor oil went down too. Their cams are now ground by Bullet.

Engle did a reasonable job, not as good as Bullet, but I think they fell victim to the mineral dropout on conventional stuff.

I kind of wish I would have purchased a roller 5 years ago. I paid $180 for my cam from them and had it on the shelf, so I put it in. Looks great, idle is fantastic, throttle is fantastic.

The next cam I go with will be made by my friend Scott at Cam Research. I may try his break in service too, depending on how radical it is, but he's down the street from me and does custom grinds, so it seems dumb for me not to do that.

If I were going to spend money now and did not have that option, while I praise the Hughes modern cut and love the one I have, I'd be into trying a Howards, just to see how I liked them, from what I've heard.

Engle did a reasonable job, not as good as Bullet, but I think they fell victim to the mineral dropout on conventional stuff.

I kind of wish I would have purchased a roller 5 years ago. I paid $180 for my cam from them and had it on the shelf, so I put it in. Looks great, idle is fantastic, throttle is fantastic.

The next cam I go with will be made by my friend Scott at Cam Research. I may try his break in service too, depending on how radical it is, but he's down the street from me and does custom grinds, so it seems dumb for me not to do that.

If I were going to spend money now and did not have that option, while I praise the Hughes modern cut and love the one I have, I'd be into trying a Howards, just to see how I liked them, from what I've heard.
Dave,Cam Research been around a long time.Great product. Honestly, didn't know,they still existed.

The camshaft world is all about one person. Harold Brookshire. Follow him around, buy whichever grinds he's designing and you'll have the best. Over and out.

The camshaft world is all about one person. Harold Brookshire. Follow him around, buy whichever grinds he's designing and you'll have the best. Over and out.

He is the schizznitt,yes. My buddy,stays in touch occasionally. He was in bad health lately. Love this guy.

And he is as much of a regular guy as you'll ever meet. I could not get him off the phone a while back when I called to pick his brain.

I'm running Hughes whiplash 504/515 in my 360 i like it a lot , nice idle and great sound

Try delta Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, WA. I just bought a solid cam springs and lifters for 260. We also run them in our race cars and a good friend of mine runs one in his 8 sec LS1. Great guys to deal with, friendly, honest and very affordable.

He did the comp extreme line and then he improved on it with the lunati voo doo series. :cheers:

He did the comp extreme line and then he improved on it with the lunati voo doo series. :cheers:

In the best chronological order I can remember from present on back. Bullitt, Lunasty, Comp, Ultradyne and General Kenitics. I am sure I am leaving something out. But you can look back at all those brands in their master catalogs and clearly pick out which lines he designed. It's clear as day when you see one of his grinds. They are the GOOD ones. lol

Confused_dog.jpg

He's responsible for a lot of cam lines with high/ modern ramp rate. opens and closes the valve to it's full lift and back to baseline quicker.

I still think you should try Howards for the money.

Where do you think Howards stole their ideas from? LOL Crane too for that matter.

To the OP, this is something you can run yourself ragged on. Just get something that has a good amount of lift, duration in the 230s @ .050 and lobe separation dependent on usage. 110-112 if you want good vacuum signal and street manners, 106-108 if you don't care about vacuum accessories and like a nastier idle. Simple as that, really.

To the OP, this is something you can run yourself ragged on. Just get something that has a good amount of lift, duration in the 230s @ .050 and lobe separation dependent on usage. 110-112 if you want good vacuum signal and street manners, 106-108 if you don't care about vacuum accessories and like a nastier idle. Simple as that, really.

Where were you when I was the one running myself ragged?? :)

LOL. Sorry. So many so called "experts" chiming in just always make this kinda thing a nightmare. That's why most of the time, I try not to get specific with recommendations. As long as you stick with a few simple guidelines, the outcome will be really close regardless. Most people are not trying to win races or dyno contests, but simply have a nice running street car with decent power. Never made any sense to me why some people put it under such a microscope.

I've had my eye on the Howards camshaft I first posted for a while now. I feel that it will be a great benefit to my setup and a major plus when I do head work and add headers. I want a nice performance gain without killing my street manners. I can go anywhere I want right now without any issues or having to worry about MPG. I want it to stay like that. Lol! I don't want to be like these other guys, circle the block twice and have to run to the nearest station.

I like the Howards stuff. I think their Mopar cams are ground to take advantage of the .903 lifter diameter but they don't charge extra for it like Hughes does.

I always wondered why other prices were more acceptable. I never thought I would pay $400 for a camshaft in a daily driver. I see if I was trying to build a vehicle to run X275 or something :D

Thanks for your input, Rob. I don't know if I thanked you or not when you directed me to C & R Transmissions in Milledgeville, but thank you for that. I know not to overlook anything you say in a thread.

Thank you all for chiming in and giving me your opinions... :prayer:

Almost forgot...

Would the 901-16 springs work with the Howards cam I posted without any issues?

-
Back