Howdy from Maine - HELP ME DECIDE!

-

Gigantor

Reaction score
Hello from Maine!

Let me be honest- I don't have an A-body... yet.

I know this might sound strange, but the reason I am even looking at another vehicle right now is because of gas prices. My 03 ram is a gas HOG and is eating me out of house and home. I've been half heartedly looking for a more fuel efficient vehicle for a couple months now. The thought of parking my truck and driving a rice burner to work and back is depressing to say the least... I want style. I want good looks. I want American Steel. Is it too much to ask that it gets good gas mileage too?

On Sunday my wife and I were on our way home (in her soulless Subaru where I barely have enough room to pick my nose or use the clutch) when Lo and behold I see a flash of metallic emerald green out of the corner of my eye. My car guy head whips around, as it is automatically tuned to scan through garage doors and behind barns for classic American tin, and spies a very cute little 75 Dart Swinger 2-door hardtop... in a small used car lot of all places.

I turned around on a dime and left my wife in the warm confines of her AWD ultra-modern piece of plastic and stood in the rain and walked around this small 70's beast... no rust... just under $3000... inspected... Hmmm... I managed to get the vin number and verified that it was a 225 slant 6.

Despite my wife's bitching that there was no point in getting another vehicle that got horrible gas mileage, I had my suspicions verified that the little Dart typically gets 20-25mpg... which is double what my ram gets and almost as good as my wife's Subaru. That shut her up.

Before I pursue this further, I'm hoping you guys can make or break my decision with some experienced opinions.

I suspect you will all say that I should jump on this cool-*** little compact Dart. No, the paint is not original, it used to be cream colored. The engine is original with 120k on it. I'e heard it run but have yet to take it for a test drive. I could care less about things of that nature. I just love the fact that I can work on it, I can help preserve a cool piece of Americana (who would have ever guessed we would feel that way about mid-70's cars), it will get way better mileage than my truck and will look absolutely tits doing it.

What do you guys think? Should I come up with that 3 grand if I can? Should I pass and resign myself to shoehorning my large self into a sardine can from Japan? Are there things I should know about this car? Good or bad, I would genuinely appreciate your honest opinions.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the welcome guys - I stopped by to see the car a few minutes ago after work since its the first time in a week it hasn't been poring rain. I'm sad to note that the dart is not the rust-free creampuff I had at first thought, but doesn't look too bad all in all and I am still interested.

Couple questions though: Are there patch panel available for a 75? Also, is there supposed to be some trim around the windshield and back window?

Thanks for the welcome - I'm trying to figure out a way to buy that car still so I hope I get to hang out here more often.

I followed TXDarts advice and took the little dart for a test drive... it was great. 0-60 in a week and a half but smooth as glass the whole way.
I've been juggling money and by my math thought I could have the money together by Thursday (yesterday) and told the owner I'd make him an offer at that time. Well, surprise surprise, my math was off and according to my wife we wont have the money until next Wednesday.
I hung my head and called the gentleman and explained to him that although I am smitten with the car and wanted to purchase it, it was going to be a week before I had the necessary funds. I understood that cash talked and bullshit walked and that if the car was still for sale after a week that I'd be sure to give him a call.
He said he didn't need to sell it right away and would rather see the car go to someone who will appreciate the car for what it is and take care of it and he could see I would do that and to make him an offer. I did, right there over the phone and he told me I hit the nail on the head and that he would hold the car for me for a week!
So I'm pretty dang excited and keep telling myself that he meant what he said when he thought I would take care of the car and not that I'm the only sucker dumb enough to buy it! HAHAHA!
Anyhow... I need a few things right out of the gates like a new muffler, some bulbs and possible a temperature sender... but all in all I'm pretty stoked.

p.s. Anyone know where I can find windshield trim and rear window trim?

Welcome That will be a great buy.There are a lot of parts for Darts and Dusters here in our classifieds.

Today is a good day! I brought my new Dart home and snapped a few pics. As you can see, I need a few things like a new taillight assembly, some stainless trim and some touch up paint and to chase a few small electrical gremlins, and a muffler, etc... but I am a happy camper.
Let me know what you guys think! She's sure looks purdy to me.

1000972c.jpg

By earthshaker5769 at 2011-06-02
1000968f.jpg

1000973b.jpg

Thanks Dude! She looks amazing from 20 feet, but I see lots of potential and the beginnings of a beautiful friendship.

I created a gallery that has all of the shots I took as I walked around the car. One is a rear shot and you can see that that left side is pretty jacked. It clearly got hit at some point. The bezel is in two pieces and the back up light is not the same as the right side. I wonder if someone shoehorned some other Mopar fixture in there. The seller tossed in a pitted but solid rear bezel in the trunk, so all I really need to find now is a solid plastic taillight housing to make it correct.
Here's that pic...

1000974k.jpg

Nice find, you are certainly starting off with a great platform.... Glad everything worked out for you. These old Mopars are a ton of fun to play with. Enjoy her and stick around for a while.

Congrats! Your new toy looks great and will be a lot of fun. Your way ahead of myself in that you can drive and enjoy while I just get to look and parts collect.

-
Back