Howdy

-

OldVole

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum though I've browsed a few times over the last couple of years. I grew up in Santa Barbara, CA but now live in Atascadero. My first car in 1976 was a 1962 Valiant station wagon I got for $210. Had it for 4 years before I had to let it go. Ever since I've had a soft spot for those early 60s Valiants so when I saw a '61 4 door languishing in the weeds in front of someone's house 3 years ago I had to see if they'd let it go. For better or worse they were willing so I'm in the thick of a pretty serious restoration.
The first problem was that some knuckle head had yanked the original drive train and put a Toyota R20 4 banger in it. Beyond that everything was in pretty rough shape except for there being no obvious body damage. I say obvious because I found some pretty extensive floor rust when I stripped it out. Probably should have walked away but like I said - I've got a soft spot so I'm looking at a pretty long-term project here and with no previous restoration experience - just keeping things running. I have a '65 225 slant 6 just about rebuilt and a choice of standard or automatic trannies (originally car was a standard but all the clutch linkage is gone so what the heck - gotta love those push buttons). Just getting started on the body now after expanding my shop enough to work on it in there. Will no doubt have lots of questions as I go. Wish I had more time to spend on it but dang - I still gotta work a few more years. Cheers!
Photos: 1) my old '62 - back when I had hair, 2) the project '61 as found, 3) removing the R20

Attachments

• Valiant 1b.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 100
  • valiant 1a.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Valiant engine removal 005.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 117
Welcome to the site OldVole!! Great picture of your '62.

I know what you mean about still having to work. :protest:

cool project- ask up a lot of knowledge/trial & error on here so maybe this site can save you some time & heartache in the re-build process. Lawrence

welcome, cool old ride and THANKYOU for posting a picture of the junk you removed from the engine bay, that was just not right!!!, lol post pics as you go along

Welcome to FABO OldVole . There is a early A section on here for your 62 and it's nice to see another on eon here...

-
Back