Hows it look?!

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tried my hand with a little welding. 1 bead looks great, but I was having difficulties trying to weld in the large gap between the floor and the mount. I think I got it s little to hot trying to fill in the gap at the back of the mount.... oops.

It is all really stiff and doesn't move around to much though. I do need to figure out a front mount though. I was thinking some L tabs up there.

Edit- this is for a good laugh everyone can have during quarantine. I know it looks like poop but good enough for my needs :p:)

20200501_134524.jpg

20200501_134506.jpg

20200501_134446.jpg

20200501_134431.jpg

20200501_134413.jpg

20200501_140937.jpg

Last edited:
The first photo looks good to me, the others not so much. But for what it is it will probably be fine, and if it fails it is not too hard to get to.

Yep the first one looks pretty good. But the others are very functional. That's why they make grinders! LOL It will be covered with paint, carpet, and the console. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Hit it with a grinder to smooth it out. Then hit it with a hammer, if it's still attached then wire brush, primer, paint and sealer. Done.

Yep the first one looks pretty good. But the others are very functional. That's why they make grinders! LOL It will be covered with paint, carpet, and the console. It doesn't have to be pretty.

Grinder... Paint... that's a lot of work for something that's all covered up with stuff haha.

Did a better job than I did when I tried to weld.

Mine looked like they were welded by Ray Charles...

Did a better job than I did when I tried to weld.

Mine looked like they were welded by Ray Charles...

Yea and mine are barely a touch better than that Haha. The welds actually got worse as I went. :rofl:

I have always been a hack welder. It is much of an art as a skill. If you don’t do it a lot it won’t be pretty. The good news is most welds are hidden.....

Welding is like body work IF you want to go back and ake it better, you always can! Like said, smack it with a pecker (hammer), if it does not fold or fall off all is good!

Just remember a pretty weld doesn't mean a good weld either. Function over form

Grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't!
Takes practice. Not bad for a first timer.

I think it looks pretty good for a first time. I have seen some really really **** factory welds and they were good enough to get it out the door.

Part of the bracket to the left is kinda bent forward. I am betting if you bend it back a little to make it level, the bracket will touch in the center.

No. I dont. It's not hooked up yet due to not having a lower rod either unfortunately. I thought I had one but it's the incorrect rod so I need to get one at some point.
I know a website that you could post a want ad on and there's a ton of really great guys that " might" be able to help you out with that rod !:poke:

Here a lesson, when you are welding thick stuff to sheet meal spend more time on the thick stuff and just a quick dip into the sheet metal and it work well for me.

-
Back