How's this for on a budget

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
How do you guys like my inginuity, it's amazing what you can do with 15 minutes, scrap wood, and a come-a-long.

Ghetto Engine Lift 001.jpg

Ghetto Engine Lift 002.jpg

that will for sure work!! Youve got me REALLY looking forward to seeing you get the motor back in with that set up!lol Gotta love saving some money and still moving ahead with a build!

I figured I would give it a shot and it worked. If it was anything but a /6 I don't think it would work. But since I have a 440/727 sitting in the corner I might see if it will hold just for ***** and giggles.

That's using your noggin'! Reminds me of the time my buddies and I pulled an MGB motor. We draped a chain over a long 4X4, bolted it to the motor, two guys on each side of the car and dead lifted it out of the engine bay. Look Ma, no hoist!!

I haven't seen anyone do that for many years!!!! If you were to re-enforce that set up it will work to drop a big block in there. I've seen it done. More than once. I couldn't do it though. I watched my friends do that back in the day. But I had to go out and buy a hoist.

By the time you get that car on the road your gonna
be a master car tech and a master framer.
That's a good thing, I see a bigger garage in your
future anyway!:grin::grin:

By the time you get that car on the road your gonna
be a master car tech and a master framer.
That's a good thing, I see a bigger garage in your
future anyway!:grin::grin:

...and if you went fishing, you would be a master baiter.

Cool...whatever it takes to get 'er done. I always liked the guys who would drive under a tree and throw some chain and a hoist over a tree limb.

necessity is the mother of invention. just be careful. it is only wood. keep it up and you could be a mechanical engineer. keep on gittin up dusted, i love a 72. my personal favorite.

Primitive yet effective, the Phoenicians would have been proud! :iconbigg: Hey, whatever works is cool and the triangulated frame is strong. I would do a couple things before trying to pick up a big block & tranny though: :study:

Pull the whole thing apart and assemble with 3/8" bolts.

Cut the bottoms of the legs paralel to the floor to prevent the legs from wanting to spread.

Add two more additional struts that come down on an angle from the top bar to the legs.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :grin:

It looks like it's nailed together, is that so? I would replace or supplement any nails in it with lag bolts before attempting any more weight.

I used only screws so I could take it apart and put it back in the backyard when I am done. I plan on getting a hoist but I didn't want to wait to get the /6 out. Now I can clean and prep everything.

I used only screws so I could take it apart and put it back in the backyard when I am done. I plan on getting a hoist but I didn't want to wait to get the /6 out. Now I can clean and prep everything.
I love it.......... because I dont have the room to roll the car back out of the way i perfer this method......

Vinnies%20Duster.jpg

I like it!

Pulled a 318 from a truck with a tripod setup built from 4x4's and a come along. Nice thing about that deal is the ground doesnt need to be level because you can splay the legs out to compensate.

Wheres there a will there's a way. We all wish for our 'Dream Garage' but in the meantime we need to do what we love doing. Just try and be safe.
GregH

even though i have plenty of room. i prefer this method also. that is how ma did it. everyone else too for that matter

Picture 342.jpg

Picture 347.jpg

Save a tree. Nail two studss to a 2x6 garage rafter approximately six feet apart. Push the car between the studs lining up the engine with the above 2x6 rafter, throw your come-a-long around the rafter. Pulled many engines this way without any problems.

Hemimark: I've never done it like that but i'm going to give it a whirl in the future. I'll poke my head under the car today and see how many bolts there are needing to be removed. I know the 4 on the K member but not suer of the rest. Technology is a wonderful thing. Our company motto is this. " If it's exactly perfect, don't spend a lot of time on it". Looks like that tripod fits the bill.
Small Block

I pulled a slant 6 out of a vallant with a tree limb, a come along and a coat hanger hooked to to head bolts. Couldn't beleived it worked but that was 40 years ago. Later while working construction, I got some seasoned oak 2x6"'s and built a stand to pull the 327 out of my 56 Chevy. Had to drill hole and use bolts as it was to tough to drive nails. Swapped motor and took it apart. Someone stole the stand one night while I was asleep. I think it would have held a diesel engine it was so strong. Now I have a cherry picker.

-
Back