hp guesses?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this for a while just for fun.

Low miles 318 block stock short block with fresh rings and bearings
360 heads with small valves no port work and stock valve springs. all stock just lapped the valves.
340 cam
torker 340 intake
eddy 600 cfm carb
orange box and light weight distributor springs
flowtech headers to a 2 1/2 exhaust with X pipe all the way to the bumper

What would it make? How many rpms would you take it to? what would it make with 10 pounds of boost?

I built the motor for $500 including paint, 2 oil changes, antifreeze, Ect. everything to get her going for $500. I am on a really tight budget so please don't hate on me too bad. The car has a 8 3/4 3.23 sure grip and I am putting a 833 od 4 speed in.

Probably 250-265 HP. Boosted? Maybe 375.

Did you upgrade the rod bolts if not I wouldn't get too carried away boost and rpm, but from what I understand 6500 rpm is the limit on cast crank 318. It's probably making 250+hp I don't know how much the boost will increase the power guessing somewhere over 400hp.

I'll assume your talkin' engine hp and not at the wheels. First off i applaud you for the inexpensive build. Use what ya' got and cheap is cool. With that said, your power curve will more then likely be pretty flat. Not enough compression for the bottom and not enough cam to use the T/340 up high. I'll say 275 hp at 5,400 and 300 tq. at a rather high 4,200. But, you never know. Some combo's just work for some reason. Cudos for giving it a shot.

As far as boost......how long do you want it to last....lol.

The numbers sound right,N/A.As for boost,I would worry most about detonation.If you huff it,might consider alky injection.Keep that incoming charge cool.Check out Snow performance on that.

I would say in the 230-240 area. I don't think it will go much more boosted without upgrading the cam and springs. Especially the springs. I wouldn't bother revving beyond 4500 with that cam.

I would say in the 230-240 area. I don't think it will go much more boosted without upgrading the cam and springs. Especially the springs. I wouldn't bother revving beyond 4500 with that cam.
Surely a 318 with a 340 cam and 360 heads will want a shift point quite a bit higher than 4500. I would think more like 5200-5500.

I had this cam in a high mileage 1973 318 with stock heads. I took it to 6,000 rpm all the time with no float. Unless these springs are shot to **** I was thinking it would rev at least that much.

-
Back