Hubcaps

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I put the stock hubcaps back on my 73 dart...How the hell do you get them to stop sounding like there is a bunch of rocks inside them when the car is rolling?

That is strange. Are you sure a lug nut did not fall into them or the wheel bearing dust cap?

Just plain hubcaps? None of those wire wheel locking screw mechanism or the like?

Nope just stock hubcaps. Nothing fell off, I used to have a 77 monaco that did it too. I have been told that they "flex" and it sounds like 2 or 3 peas inside the hubcaps.

Clean the teeth area of the cap and wheel. If they are a little bit dirty then the teeth slip and make that annoying a$$ noise. I know the sound and it's annoying as all hell a low growl in turns.

Another thing I was curious about, besides my girlfriend kicking my ***, would anything bad happen if I put the hupcaps in the dishwasher? It seems like a pretty good way to clean them and get inbetween all the little holes around the edges.

It works great cleaning them in the dishwasher. I used to clean the wire wheel covers off my Buick in the dishwasher.

Chuck

Another thing I was curious about, besides my girlfriend kicking my ***, would anything bad happen if I put the hupcaps in the dishwasher? It seems like a pretty good way to clean them and get inbetween all the little holes around the edges.

I'd go with the extra rinse. Iv'e cleaned carbs in the sink, and rebuilt motors in the living room. All while being married, and I'm still married to the same woman. She loves me.

thats what that damn noise is. My 66 valiant has original hubcaps and there was a noise that i couldn't trace down. I took the hubcaps off, the tires off, drums off, and checked the bearings. I thought i was going crazy.

I've got the same noise coming from the front drivers side hubcap. I checked for gravel in there but nope. I wondered if the wheels were flexing or something and making them squeak. I cleaned all the surfaces but it still does it.

tire store fix for hubcap noise... couple rounds of duct tape on the teeth. works evry time :)

-
Back