Hughes convertors

-

bigdemo1

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Hughes line of convertors,say in the 2800 stall range,for a street driven 73 Dart Sport,stock stroke 360 around 430 HP,727 and 3.55- 3.91 gearing mostly street ocassionally 1/4(weekends)?

never used a hughes but love my dynamic by frank lupo 5000 9.5" plan to go 8" soon will be dynamic

Many years ago I called Hughes and got their recommended converter. Then later I called Turbo Action and got their recommended converter. My car picked up 7 tenths.

I don't think I'll buy another Hughes.

I have a Hughes in my truck. It does the job, but I'm not super impressed with the efficiency. Was advertised as a 2200-2300 rpm stall, and perhaps it would be in a light car. But in a 3/4 ton truck with a GS Stake 1 Buick, I am getting 2800-3000 flash. This wouldn't be so bad but my highway RPM is about 200-300 RPM over what it would be with a 100% efficient converter. I could accept some slippage below the advertised stall speed, but not 10% at 3000+ rpm.

Try one if you get a good deal on one, but don't expect miracles. A Dynamic or Turbo Action will cost more, but with converters you get what you pay for. For a weekend cruiser you will probably be OK, but if highway performance or track times really matter, look elsewhere.

I used a couple of their converters in customer cars because that is what they wanted and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed. They are entry level converters much like some B&M converters. This is one area many people somewhat skimp on when it should just be considered another part to invest in.

I got a Hughes 4x4 converter for my Ramcharger. It stalls as advertised with my Lunati cam but did not stall correctly with a slightly larger Crane and is a stout piece.

I'm going with a Dynamic for my Duster.

i have a buddy that owns a trans shop in Az, used a Hughes convertor a couple of times because of how close they were to his shop. ended up pulling them out and using http://www.tcsperformance.com/ which is the regular convertor shop he deals with. my truck has a convertor in it from The Convertor Shop. More then pleased with it. He will be building the convertor for my car eventually...

I've only used one. Installed it in a buddy's 1 ton chevy truck with a fresh and stout 454. It was rated to stall at 2000. It only stalled at 1700-1800 even in that super heavy truck with a torquey engine. It seemed to hold up good though as he's beat the living crap out of it and it's still going fine today 4 yrs. later.

I have a 2500-2600 stall convertor for sale,it has very low milage(maybe 600 miles)works great.I,m just going a different direction with my motor/tranny.PM if interested?Convertor was done at ConvertorMan in Toront,Ontario Canada.

My 10" 3500 converter worked pretty good in OU812's Duster last night.

My 10" 3500 converter worked pretty good in OU812's Duster last night.
What kind is it?

Might go with turbo action,prices don't look terrible.

And I'd lay money on if you put a Turbo Action, ATI, Ultimate, Dynamic or Coan converter in it, it would pickup.

You pony up and I'll try it vs. the free hughes verter I got. We aren't worried about the last nth of a second here.

BTW, 1.42 is as fast as that car has ever 60' footbraking. That was with an 8" A-1 converter. This hughes went 1.43. The car has gone 1.37 on the brake.

Not bad for an off the shelf converter!

Carry on if you wish.

You pony up and I'll try it vs. the free hughes verter I got. We aren't worried about the last nth of a second here.

BTW, 1.42 is as fast as that car has ever 60' footbraking. That was with an 8" A-1 converter. This hughes went 1.43. The car has gone 1.37 on the brake.

Not bad for an off the shelf converter!

Carry on if you wish.

Hmm, if I still had my extra T/A converter I'd send it to ya to try but I sold it. What happened to the A1 converter?

Free is always good but I wouldn't pay for another Hughes, maybe they've gotten better since I bought mine, I don't know. BTW my old Hughes is in a 2900 lb 360 Dakota running 11.20's. He's going to put a T/A converter in it soon and I'll get my Hughes back, we'll see what happens.

I agree with you the hughes verters aren't the best around for the most part.

Brian didn't want to use the A-1 as it was to be a more street oriented application/usage. Wanted to use a converter that people might actually use. See below for the reasoning

The ones you listed would be something I'd look at if this was not a quicky deal, didn't fit the parameters and more long term. Most people don't understand a great converter can be magic in a car. People will spend 6-20K on a high hp mill and want to throw a $300 verter behind and complain the car doesn't run right...

Kinda late to this thread, but I just grenaded my Hughes 2200-2500 TC in my 904 behind a XE268 cammed 318 in my Duster......after only 10000 miles! I have pictures of it at home. With a 3.23 gear and 235/70/15 tires, I never was happy with how it performed. It seemed soggy down low and did not stall at the advertised speed.

The shop that's rebuilding my trans is throwing in a TC to help me out. Their guy that they swear by is building a 2500-2800 unit, so we shall see how it goes.

Needless to say, I am done with Hughes.

-
Back