Hughes Engines 1.6 Rocker Geometry/Setup

-

madhatta360

1973 Duster 340 H-code TX9
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, got my SM heads done and installed onto the duster running .512 lift with a 1.6 rocker setup from Hughes Engines.

I’m looking for feedback from those running Hughes engines- did you use the shims provided, if so how many or feedback on stacking more than 3?

The geometry thing is all new for me/pissing me off in all honesty, I’m looking to get it close to stay reliable not racing and don’t about loosing a little lift. Spoke to Mike at b3 I know he’s the expert, not sure if I’m down to drill out my new shafts and do that if I can get close with using the shims from Hughes.

Gotta try to get this dialed in before I figure out pushrod, I have just one of the the .040 shims installed pics attached- looking for feedback on this, thanks.

24BF471C-8B66-4CE6-9526-76AE58198C51.jpeg

356A2994-FC91-48DA-8F44-264047E7BC4B.jpeg

E454AC45-08A6-4190-B998-DDE3F8FC1185.jpeg

DE3376D9-99BA-4983-8D30-D3A27766AEBE.jpeg

Best thing to do in your case, is to make up a "dummy" solid lifter, color the valve stem with a sharpie, roll the engine over a few times and then look at the pattern

Call Mike at B3 Racing Engines and he can show you the way. He's the man with valve train geometry. @B3RE I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.

Call Mike at B3 Racing Engines and he can show you the way. He's the man with valve train geometry. @B3RE I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.
Mike,is the Dude!
He will work with you.I have his shim kit,plus he set up the springs for my Trick Flow heads.

Mike,is the Dude!
He will work with you.I have his shim kit,plus he set up the springs for my Trick Flow heads.
He helped me get my slant 6 unicorn head right. That beeotch is RIGHT, too!

When Mike puts a little clearance on the rocker shaft it is to make sure everything lines up properly, you can do that at home but the bits to clearance the shafts will prbably cost more than what he charges.
I have a set of his correctors on my big block and small block too, spot on.

Those stamped shims are junk. They break the saddles.

Take your time and stop fretting about opening the holes in your shafts. Mikes kit is the ONLY fix besides milling the stands and using blocks.

Those stamped shims are junk. They break the saddles.

Take your time and stop fretting about opening the holes in your shafts. Mikes kit is the ONLY fix besides milling the stands and using blocks.
Yeah I’m on the fence with using them I mean I understand trimming them as the instructions say, if I can get it dialed in using no more than 3 I’ll most likely roll with them. This is a street car with .500 lift cam nothing crazy. I spoke to Mike today at length may get the ball rolling with the kit to have as a back up

Can you Post up a picture up a picture of the roller tip at full lift.
Happy belated Easter bud! Was gonna give you a call today to pick your brain, will reach out tomorrow.

I’m gonna torque down this side and check everything once I trim some shims. Will keep ya posted

Might be an optical illusion. But in the last pic in post #1, there looks to be a gap under the shim. If so, the shim is being pinched at the edges of the saddle; tightening the bolt will likely crack/break the saddle through the bolt hole.

Might be an optical illusion. But in the last pic in post #1, there looks to be a gap under the shim. If so, the shim is being pinched at the edges of the saddle; tightening the bolt will likely crack/break the saddle through the bolt hole.
I don't think your eyes deceive you. I see it too.

That is good to know! Just saw the optometrist today, said eyes were 'fine'!

Yeah I didn’t trim the shim yet and torque then down

Holy Mopar guru overload... LOL
My Hughes 1.6 rockers are great right out of the box... Only side to side shim's... Been running perfect for years...

One must wonder how these engines ever ran the first 40 years before geometry started getting corrected or even worried about it....

Holy Mopar guru overload... LOL
My Hughes 1.6 rockers are great right out of the box... Only side to side shim's... Been running perfect for years...

One must wonder how these engines ever ran the first 40 years before geometry started getting corrected or even worried about it....
Nice! Your lucky, what heads are you running them on?

Nice! Your lucky, what heads are you running them on?
I ran them on my stock 596 heads and now they're on my speedmaster heads...
My sweep was extremely small and dead center of the valve... I kind of thought it was built into the rockers but maybe it isn't or maybe every situation is different and it probably is... The small center sweep probably isn't everything to do with geometry but there's things that I just don't get all caught up on ..
On my other stroker motor I had some old crane gold roller rockers that I just didn't like the way they swept... I just ended up using some old 273 rockers and they're fine.. the truck runs perfect and if I'm losing a few horsepower I couldn't really give a rat, I just drive the truck and enjoy it... Well there's a ton of knowledge on this forum there's also a lot of worrying about things you really don't need to worry about...

I ran them on my stock 596 heads and now they're on my speedmaster heads...
My sweep was extremely small and dead center of the valve... I kind of thought it was built into the rockers but maybe it isn't or maybe every situation is different and it probably is... The small center sweep probably isn't everything to do with geometry but there's things that I just don't get all caught up on ..
On my other stroker motor I had some old crane gold roller rockers that I just didn't like the way they swept... I just ended up using some old 273 rockers and they're fine.. the truck runs perfect and if I'm losing a few horsepower I couldn't really give a rat, I just drive the truck and enjoy it... Well there's a ton of knowledge on this forum there's also a lot of worrying about things you really don't need to worry about...
That’s good to know- i am running these 1.6 Hughes on speedmaster with .512 hydraulic flat tappet lift cam so it’s low lift compared to most serious builds. I need to actually bolt these damn shafts down without shims and check the scrub to get baseline then just add a shim and check.

Do you recall what length pushrod you went with, custom length or did you use a standard size

-
Back