Hughes Engines valve springs and retainers for Magnum heads

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Hughes HUG 1278 valve spring retainers for magnum heads? When I called them I was told that the maximum lift was .525 on a stock magnum head anything higher would cause retainer to valve guide clearance problems. They said that their retainer would allow for an additional .125 of lift over stock. Also I am looking at the 1102 springs which are rated for .550 lift. Has anyone had experience with these parts? I am setting the motor up with the cam @278 degrees duration and .512 lift on exhaust and 268 degrees .496 lift on intake, LSA 112. I did a split pattern as I am going to be using stock Dakota exhaust manifolds and I wanted more exhaust cam timing to help compensate for lack of headers . Also I wanted a little more exhaust timing as I will be putting a 125 horsepower nitrous set up on it.
I have an air gap, a 650 double pumper, MP dizzy, 9 to 1 CR, 3.91 sure grip, a loose 3500 converter, reverse valve body and the car weighs 3200 lbs. Im going to run DOT slicks. I am hoping for about 450 hp at the flywheel. Do you think that low 12's would be a realistic number with this combo???

-
Back