Hughes rocker shafts

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Well my little 318 with MP 360 heads started to idle rough but seemed OK after 2500-3000 rpms. So I go ripping off the intake manifold and the Fel Pro intake gasket looks great :confused:

Then I pop the valve covers off, just had them up a 1/2 inch. Lord and behold 1 of the rocker shaft bolts snap off-at the end-and the rocker shaft was bent up--here I was worry about my rod bolts with my 6200 rpm red line it hits all the time 8)

Thank god I was able to get a easy out in the broken bolt and remove it without pulling the head off. Called up Hughes cause they had the banana grove rocker shafts and I got their rocker hold down stud kit--nice stuff but the new rocker shaft has only 1 set of oil holes, right were the banana groves are-no extra oil holes on the side like my old shafts. I could not afford to get Hughes rockers, just the shafts and are using the old style 273 adjustable rockers. Hughes said is SHOULD be OK without the extra side oil holes but I wounder if I should find a machine shop to drill the oil holes on the sides.

Should I be worry with just having oil holes-with groves-just on the bottom and not on the sides too ?

been using rocker shalfts with only one oiling holes for years..they come that way from crane and other aftermarket manufacturers.

fact i have set of crane ductile iron rockers that have been using the same one oil hole shaft for almost twenty years,,,they have been on two race cars..and now currently being used on a street drivened 73 duster in signature below....

Usually the rocker arms have a groove in them so oil is fed in through one hole and distributed around inside the rocker arm.

been using rocker shalfts with only one oiling holes for years..they come that way from crane and other aftermarket manufacturers.

fact i have set of crane ductile iron rockers that have been using the same one oil hole shaft for almost twenty years,,,they have been on two race cars..and now currently being used on a street drivened 73 duster in signature below....

Thats what I wanted to hear 8)

My iron rockers were made by Erson but look like the 273's. Theres no groove in them but small holes, 1 on top and on the side.

Well maybe in a month I pull the shaft and look for any wear but maybe not. It does sound quite....Now I found the retainer but not the half of the broken bolt. Ran it for a while and all is good, so it must be on the bottom of my oil pan or in the pump screen. When the intake was off I seen no damage on the cam or the oil pump drive shaft-the retainer was right by the drive shaft and its a straight shot down. Now I have a good reason to repair the leaky oil pan gasket

-
Back