hughes vs mopar performance

-

steve340demon

Reaction score
planning on put a cam in my 71 demon 340 10.1 comp j heads manifolds , early stock intake with 670 vac sec street avenger .. . what would be the best cam, people tell me hughes are the best and other are saying 284 484 mopar cam... but its auto and 3:91 gear. it got the 268 dur 444 lift in it now, just looking to see what works the best for the others who got dusters demons and darts thanks....

There are much better cams there then what mopar or hughes (who seems to be having cam and customer service problems). Why not look at comp or lunati cams? or about sticking a roller in it.
I have a complete roller setup in my 340 (roller cam, roller lifters, and roller rockers)

Want a hughes cam, call Tim at Bullet Cams, he grinds them for hughes, IIRC.

Talk to a competent engine builder for a recommendation. I wouldn't buy hardly anything from hughes, except maybe rockers and hold downs. Other than that... Pass...

If it's nothing too crazy, but you are considering a 284/484 which is fairly long on duration at .050, and you are going hyd flat tappet, the lunati voodoo cams are really good pieces. You can usually find a decent grind to fit what you want to do in about any cam company catalog.

Want a hughes cam, call Tim at Bullet Cams, he grinds them for hughes, IIRC.

Talk to a competent engine builder for a recommendation. I wouldn't buy hardly anything from hughes, except maybe rockers and hold downs. Other than that... Pass...

If it's nothing too crazy, but you are considering a 284/484 which is fairly long on duration at .050, and you are going hyd flat tappet, the lunati voodoo cams are really good pieces. You can usually find a decent grind to fit what you want to do in about any cam company catalog.
Their roller lifters work great no problem (used them in friends ford and he always buzzing the thing to redline and has 35000+ miles on it, never a problem).

the voodoo line of cams are awsome and cam motion have some wicked solid grinds of your size my choice would find a set of 273 stock solid rockers and go with a solid grind of the two companys mentioned the solid lifter set up reves really fast just what a 340 loves and with the 273 valve gear is cheap and very strong hopes this helps

I run a Hughes cam in my car and it does quite well. The $215 price to me is stupid though. This is without lifters as well....

Honestly, I am a fan of Mopar cams. They maybe old technology and blah,blah but it does WORK!!

My other choice is the Lunati Voodoo. Great cams!!

(Tell her to stop talking about me or raise my price! --- LOL! JOKING!!!!!!!!)

OK, SERIOUS biz now. Back on topic!

People trash the MP purple line up real fast, but, they do what they say they do and they do it well. There also a compromise between the more radical cam lines like an aggressive Hughes or Lunati cam but much more powerful than other lines of cams that everybody offers. The Purple cams were designed to meet the needs of the grass roots racer (AKA - No Money!) and make the power with little work needed to get the job done.

Notice how the lifts of the Purple cams are not big. But the duration's are. The cams work with stock heads (and MoPar even has springs for them.... ) with minor work. Bowl porting can get you very far.

Here's the thing about cams that you should look at when thinking about one for your engines performance.

First, know the RPM range your driving in and have the cam operate in this RPM band, the lower 1/4 of the cams intended range is about the cruise area. Not more than half though.

Know your heads flow ability. cfm wise. Where the flow stalls. There's no real point of lifting the valve above the stall point if your on the street driving around.

If you can take advantage of the most lift you can get in the duration your looking for (Driving RPM range) then, by all means, do so use all the lift you can. Lift has a direct impact on HP. But not a whole lot for street cars. MAX lifting the valves on a street engine seeing a lot of driving isn't needed. If anything, it's just more stress n the valve train. Go there (Lots of lift) if your looking to mow down the comp in the streets.

Then, your down to the cams centerline. 110 is the standard. A aggressive 340 or 360 can go to a 108 easy, 2 more degrees - 106 - if your on the track.

David vizard say people use too wide LCA because people want use bigger cams (it feels good to have big degree cam) and LCA have to spread to make it usefull at low end. 360 whit 10:1 comp need maybe 108 LCA??

Enyone agree?

-
Back