hump early vs late

-

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
how hard is it to fit a 67 & later 4speed floor hump in a 66? not to hip on the fiberglass repops and all I find used are the later ones adapt a late one, make one from scratch, or just keep looking any and all suggestions, info, or criticisms, welcome

The 66 actually has the 67 up style boot so the later hump is what you would want for a 66, you may have to finesse it to fit the floor but it shouldn't take much. The 64/65 boot's are also harder to find and more expensive.

The repop '67 up humps are actually made for the '75-'76 models and has quite a large gap at the rear because of the bump in the floor for a catalytic converter. You will also need to replace the floor mounted gas pedal with a later model swinging type. The carpet doesn't fit very well on the later hump either and the rear of the hump is almost into the seat with the seat all the way to the rear. Tried to use one in my '66 Valiant and decided not to after a trial fit. Got lucky and found one out of a '66 Barracuda so they are out there. All things considered, I would go ahead and get the fiberglass repop from Brewer's. The hump is not structural and all it needs to do is cover the hole and keep water, etc. out of the interior. If you don't tell them no one will ever know it is fiberglass once the carpet is down. 8)

The 66 humps are pretty hard to find. Here are a couple pics of one that I found. I don't see the harm in a fiberglass reproduction. At least the carpet will fit correctly.

001.jpg

003.jpg

I rebuilding a 1960 val with fourspeed and I build this, pretty simple and looks ok I think.

18.jpg

-
Back