Hurricane Fiona Direct Hit .

-
Best wishes to all in the path!!!

Mother Nature's fury can -- and does -- change the course of lives.

Our kitchen after Katrina ... a couple days before the ceiling fell in.
View attachment 1715990015
Yeah I remember you talkin about goin through that in the past. That was a real bad one. We had a couple friends that didn't evacuate when Andrew came through Florida. They made it, but their neighbors didn't.

Headline I just saw did not look good for Canada.
genuflectII.jpg

That strong a storm all the way up there is not common.

The one that was still intact after going all the way through the US was bad, but this one is still powerful from being completely over water the whole way.

Latest track for Ian has moved North/West.

Better for me.

not so much for those up there near the big bend.

Fat lady ain't sung yet, though. A lot can change in three days.

I have been in touch with Aaron and Tara most of the day. They and family are fine. Can't say the same for the trees around their house. Many are down and the driveway will need to be cleared by chainsaw before they can get out but the house garage and chicken coop were not damaged. The Duster is safe in the basement. The town they live in is in shambles with most roads close to impassible. Many power poles have been blown down or broken off but somehow they still have power. That's the best I can do for an update.

Jack

I have been in touch with Aaron and Tara most of the day. They and family are fine. Can't say the same for the trees around their house. Many are down and the driveway will need to be cleared by chainsaw before they can get out but the house garage and chicken coop were not damaged. The Duster is safe in the basement. The town they live in is in shambles with most roads close to impassible. Many power poles have been blown down or broken off but somehow they still have power. That's the best I can do for an update.

Jack
Thanks for that Jack. Please pass along our prayers and good wishes if you speak with them again.

@Ironracer

You ready for Ian?

Predicted to be cat 3 when it hits basically right at Tampa.

Looks like a real close track to Charley back in 04.

That one was real bad for us. 3rd one within 5 miles of me, and then another within 10.
Actually, I'm really not! Still dealing with this pulmonary issue. Finally got into see a good Dr. He put me on Levaquin for 5 days. Today is day 2. Stuff kills inhaled Anthrax and The PLAGUE! Hope it works. So if it looks like it's going to be bad, I'll hop on it, hopefully being able to breathe by then! More worried about the Duster than the house! Thank You for Asking! Much Appreciated!

@Ironracer

You ready for Ian?

Predicted to be cat 3 when it hits basically right at Tampa.

Looks like a real close track to Charley back in 04.

That one was real bad for us. 3rd one within 5 miles of me, and then another within 10.

I had to replace a roof after Charlie. Had just bought the house and knew it was time to be re shingled, was hoping to make it to cooler weather

I had to replace a roof after Charlie. Had just bought the house and knew it was time to be re shingled, was hoping to make it to cooler weather
Slamming shingles aint to bad in the winter. I've been doing more metal these days, but Lil shingle and boot repairs seem to always pop up in the Bay
We had Charlie, and 2 others roll by that year without much issues in my area, Thankfully

Fiona was the strongest recorded hurricane to ever hit Canada. Be careful up there. If it had tracked a few hundred miles to the west, it would have been even worse for the northeast. Even worse than the hurricane of 1938, which went near Florida and then zoomed up the east coast, killing hundreds.

God's speed to all of you who live in the Maritimes.
You get some nasty storms there, but this one is particularly terrible.

More West track for Ian again today.

However, the Euro model still shows a dead on Tampa landfall.

I'm breathing a little easier, but still a lot of time.

Another update from Aaron. He sent me a text today. The power is out. There are thousands of trees down in their little town. He figures it might be 2 weeks before he has power again. He does have a generator so he and family are in good shape.

Jack

Today I am clearing "missiles" from the yard and porch, clearing a spot in the shop for my trailer, and lashing the dolly to a big tree.

Irma caused my dolly to uproot a smaller tree.

I got the 5K generator running at the beginning of the season, and have a back feed setup not quite ready to test. If we loose power I'll weigh completing that vs just using extension cords like last time.

Two 5 gal jugs of Zepherhills in the pantry and a lot of canned food, plus my charcoal grill. Catching rainwater in 5 gal buckets to flush toilets if necessary.
Lots of freezy packs in ref and freezer to prolong the "cooler effect". Plus some in ref at shop in case we lose power at the house and not at the shop which is half a mile away.

Irma took out our power for 3 days, but our water was out for almost 3 weeks.

Freeze some gallon jugs full of water. They stay solid a real long time.

Ian track shifted back towards us slightly.

...and it slowed down.

Friday it was supposed to be 8 am Wednesday landfall.

Now Thursday 2 am

Prayers are with you we lost our home in Katrina. Plus lots of old Mopar stuff not replaceable.
IDA 8-29-21 gave us 12.5 hours of wind and rain. Blew fireplace to he'll along with siding, roof and much more.
Even had to go threw the new Aluiminum headed 422six
Just have a few more things to do to be done with the home.

Last edited:
-
Back