Hurst is staffed by morons !

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I went to Hurst.com to see what a new Comp+ or Super Street shifter would run for my 69 Dart.

All I could find was a C-Body shifter for a New Process 422....
So I called the Order/Tech line and tell the guy what I am looking for.
He says all they have is 1 for the 422.... I tell him there is no such animal.
He says that I need to go to the Hurst I.D chart..... which turns out to be small rough
renderings of various transmissions.

So long story short... they do not make shifters for the most popular applications
and you find that out by using a Kindergarten chart and avoid any reference to actual model or part #s !!!

Hard to believe they are still in business !

Man I remember when the were in warminster Pa. I would walk in with a shifter, hand it to the guy at the counter. Go sit down have a smoke and most times they would be finished before me. Here ya go kid. No charge. Never see those days again.

You'd probably have better luck dealing with summit or Jegs. They have all the interchange stuff. No telling who the person at Hurst/Mr gasket/cheap chinesium Inc actually was.

Hurst has hundreds of ebay listings citing specific models.

Are they wrong?

They even list a 71-74 B body bench seat application.

I just thought it was funny that THE name in 4 speeds would be so inept.... He kept aaking me if I had a New Process 422.....
.I said there is no such animal ! So he asks me if I know what kind of trany I have ! All he knew was what the diagram # was.
I will call brewers.

Hurst has hundreds of ebay listings citing specific models.

Are they wrong?

Those are shifter handles.
I am looking for a new Comp+ or Super Street for an Abody. Im trying to figure out how much more it is to go all new vs rebuilding my current one and getting shift rods / levers etc.... I am peicing together a rolling shell 340 4sp Swinger...

They even list a 71-74 B body bench seat application.

Yeah I told him that after looking at the "sketches" but he said they dont make any for the 421....I just gave up and said goodbye.

I had one of these on a Duster back in the day. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-Stree...ash=item41beec8a58:g:zF8AAOSwoudW-VnQ&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Everyone is getting to the computerese mentality, if it isn't in the computer it was never made. Some of us "Old Farts" can remember when they had catalogs & stuff got looked up multiple ways if the conventional way didn't work. Most of the parts people that I've interacted with over the past 20+ years couldn't find their backside with both hands & a hand full of fish hooks without a computer.

I used that in my 73 340 Dart Sport... (now owned by another member here) I was just trying to confirm part numbers and pricing to compare
to rebuilding the stocker Comp+ I have and buying shift rods etc...

People get old, too old to work and even die.
The younger people who replace them who actually want to work the counter, more times than not, aren't savoy like the younger people 'who actually like to work on them'.

Things didn't transfer, for some reason, to a lot of people.

Everyone is getting to the computerese mentality, if it isn't in the computer it was never made. Some of us "Old Farts" can remember when they had catalogs & stuff got looked up multiple ways if the conventional way didn't work. Most of the parts people that I've interacted with over the past 20+ years couldn't find their backside with both hands & a hand full of fish hooks without a computer.
Truth, spoken here.... I am 49, feel 70 for idiocy I get in most parts stores....

Unfortunetly, books have gone the way of the dodo.

If you actual saw the paper "catalogs" we get from the vendors you'd understand why.

yep. They had a stack of catalogs and the good parts guys would dive in them and search for what you wanted... The real good guys would always find it.... The not so good ones were hit or miss....

-
Back