Hurst shifter help

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
I cant seem to get my shifter handle out. I know how it is supposed to come out. I know I have seen the other posts but I am not seeing any visual examples, and for the life of me I cant get a shim in there to pop anything loose. I have been spraying this thing down daily to try to break it up but it is in there snug. I have tried a putty knife, a feeler gauge, a knife and I can't get this thing broken loose. Any super secrets or pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks

Some shifters were never designed to come apart, so pictures on your part would be very helpful.
I will do that tomorrow as soon as I get home from work, it's just a bone stock 68 4 speed with the original hurst shifter that came with it

Pictures

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had a shifter like that once. It was fall of 1970. By summer of 71 it was history, replaced by a Mr.Gasket BangShifter.
So I cannot help you with your problem, other than to say that I have seen that kind apart in pictures. Someone smarter than me will be along shortly........

Not sure on a 68 shifter, but I had a slip-in style pistol grip that needed a feeler gauge inserted on both sides to release the handle. It still took a lot of force after the clamps were depressed to get it apart....

Pistol Grip Shifter Slip In Style.jpg

Not sure on a 68 shifter, but I had a slip-in style pistol grip that needed a feeler gauge inserted on both sides to release the handle. It still took a lot of force after the clamps were depressed to get it apart....

View attachment 1714948923
I think that's the one, I'll just keep working at it, it's been together for 50 years so it is not fond of me trying to take it apart

-
Back