Hurst Super Shifter ?

-

MoparMic

Reaction score
I`m mocking up my car and installed the shifter it seems to be way back in the hole anyone have this shifter in the car?

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,221
Yes it is a factory 4 speed car I`m going to have to pull it out and look at it I don`t think its possable to put it in wrong

Looks like any shifter you put in will be too far back. Almost looks like the Trans needs to go forward a bit. Is the motor in the car also ?

Do you have the rubber on the tranny mount flipped?
What year car?

If you have a 23 spline A body 4spd ,the shifter pad and shifter assembly can only mount 1 way. I've had a bunch of those and thats the way it is. Check your linkage for binding and adjust the shifter stops so all gears have positive engagement. If you have a bench seat that shifter handle will be to short , you will be reaching for 1st and 3rd. Hurst makes a 12" aluminum strait stick.

Yeah motor, Lakewood bellhousing,23 spline trans just for mockup and solid motor mounts are installed the trans mount was on the tranny that came with the car I bought the shifter mount from Passon I Know its correct. It may be the bellhousing pushing it back. No bench seat this is a street/strip car and I`m going to have to build my shifter linkage. The car is a factory 68 barracuda S 383 4 Speed car

I don't know squat about big block application but, I know on a small block if you put your motor mount brackets on the wrong side of the ears on the block, your engine and trans would be pushed about that distance too far back. Just a thought.

There's several different shifter mounts, too.

I don't know squat about big block application but, I know on a small block if you put your motor mount brackets on the wrong side of the ears on the block, your engine and trans would be pushed about that distance too far back. Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking ....

Looks like you have the correct A body shifter mount by the way it is leaning forward.

Check the motor mounts and be certain the way you have them bolted up moves the engine as far forward as it will go.
If you have the mounts on the wrong side of the ears it will set it back about 1-1.5"

Give us a pic of the tranny mount and the motor mounts.

Yeah motor, Lakewood bellhousing,23 spline trans just for mockup and solid motor mounts are installed the trans mount was on the tranny that came with the car I bought the shifter mount from Passon I Know its correct. It may be the bellhousing pushing it back. No bench seat this is a street/strip car and I`m going to have to build my shifter linkage. The car is a factory 68 barracuda S 383 4 Speed car
im pretty sure you can still get linkage from hurst for your application. that's a cool car good luck with it.

I took a bunch of pics this morning I made the motor mount solid my self ( I`m not cheep just couldn't find a solid one for the drivers side so I fabed up both)they could be off a hair but not more than 1/16th. I also loosened the bolts for the trans mount and they are dead center of the mount I think the measurement from the fire wall to the back of the block would be the best way to tell if theres something wrong it was 1 1/4" from the forward part of the firewall to the back of the block

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 007.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 447
  • 011.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 438
  • 012.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 470
  • 008.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 485
I had a Lakewood on my 68 383 GTS and the shifter mech was dead center of the hole.It is not the bellhousing I can tell you that much.

Yeah that was a brain drain post by me. I know its not the bellhouseing that would cause a hole new set of problems

Its an A body 23 for sure I have 2 of them and 2 B/E body ones also. hopefully someone can check that 1 1/4" measurement for me if that correct than my tunnel must be off god knows Mother Mopar isn't perfect

My scatter shield and block saver say's your good. My shifter is a V-gate so I cant help ya there.

How do your headers fit the chassis?

I have had a super shifter 3 hanging on the wall for a long time.
Went out and played with it for most of the evening, using all stock parts but the shifter.
Used the stock linkage rods it bolts up, but the reverse rod is a little short, needs lenghtened about a 3/4" to full engauge all the threads.

It should sit in the same location as the stock shifter, but my stock one also sits farther back than stock.

Keep in mind the Hurst 3 when it was made had a special shifter mount to locate the shifter in line with the linkage rods, which raised the shifter higher on the transmission.
This required mods the to the trans tunnel and the huge boot.

Your shifter should work ok if you use stock rods, the body of the shifter does not move so all the stock linkage should still bolt up with minor mods.

If everything else lines up, z-bar, headers etc, I think it will work for you.

I will try and take measurement tonight. I can tell you, in my '70 swinger the super shifter 3 fits perfect ..

I`m running fenderwell header all I can think is the hump is off a bit. I moved the mount pad on the Lakewood BH so the Z bar would line up with the frame mount. That's good news about the shifter rod I would rather make some adjustment to the factory rod than start from scratch. I`m going to pull the shifter out today to make sure that the mount is correct but like was stated the A body angles the shifter a bit and the B body is strait up. If all else fails I`ll move the hump. 65-440 if you could get a measurement from something other than the hump to the shifter that would be great

I measured 2" from firewall to the edge of bellhousing / edge of block. Not sure of difference b/t your car and mine though .... I wouldn't think it would be much. But judging from your measurement vs. mine, a 1/2" forward would put your shifter a bit closer to center !

-
Back