Hurt 340

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
I was driving my car last Saturday and I over reved it and it started ticking. I drove it home, about 5 miles, and by the time I got home it was really making a load hammering noise. I took a valve cover off and one of the lash caps came off and was lying in the cylinder head. I removed the rocker and took out the loose lifter and it had a circular wear pattern in the center of it. It's still has the concave bottom. It's neighbor has a narrow wear pattern all the way across it. The cam looked new with no signs of any damage. I put it all back together and it idled fine.
Just wondering if it'll be alright. Or should I just replace the lifter.

I think it will survive just fine. If the spring lock was entirely free, then the valve may have been slapping the piston top, but if you still have compression, then it should be OK.

The knocking may have been coming from the loose lock jamming a spring?

I THINK you meant the lifted still has a conVEX bottom. Convex is where the lifter is still somewhat new and has a rounded bottom. Concave is rounded inward like a worn out lifter. Just remember concave is like a CAVE. lol

I don't think a valve was stuck open, the lifter lost it's preload and the cam was tapping the lifter then the rocker arm lock got loose and the clearance increased making a knocking sound.
Yes, I meant the lifter bottom was convex. Thanks.

I over revved my old 360 one time. It was running real rough and gutless afterward. I took the v cover off at my buddies. All looked fine. I sprayed water on the rad to cool it down too. When I left I guess the oil pressure pumped the lifter back up and all was fine.

'S why I like mechanical lifters. "Back when" I used to tear up the woods in the old FJ-40, that 340 saw over 6K QUITE a few times, and over 7K "several." NEVER have I bent a pushrod or had to pull the covers off to put something back together. These, by the way, are the very same 273 rockers in the 67 right now.

-
Back