Hydraulic cam into 273?

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
Can a hydraulic cam be dropped into a 66 273 solid cam block with no modifications? Any tips on what pushrods to use?

Yes just a push rod change depends on year, and you can stay with the adjustable rockers if you like, or get a set of stamped non-adjust rockers.

the Isky e4 cam has been the recommended replacement in several threads.

Yes just a push rod change depends on year, and you can stay with the adjustable rockers if you like, or get a set of stamped non-adjust rockers.

Bingo, winner!

Just swap in the cam you want with Hyd. lifters and then ad pushrods for the combo of rockers you intend to use. The pushrods differ on top for the style of rocker arm used and so does there length. OE parts are available for this swap.

Cool. Just wanted to make sure there was no issue with oil flow to the lifter to provide adequate pump up.

the Isky e4 cam has been the recommended replacement in several threads.

The E4 Isky is a solid cam and highly recommended for a street motor. Other than the cam and lifters, all you need to switch to hydraulic are the 340 6 pack pushrods. Or the rockers, shafts, and pushrods from any standard hydraulic engine. This assumes that the heads and block have not been excessively milled. I'm sure a lot of people would swap you, including myself.

My engine builder said he could install a hydraulic cam and lifter set-up and retain my adjustable rockers.........I'd never heard of this before, and he told me of a 440 they have set up like it........

Is there a BENEFIT to him installing it this way??

No hijack intended.......I think we're on the same wavelength here.......

My engine builder said he could install a hydraulic cam and lifter set-up and retain my adjustable rockers.........I'd never heard of this before, and he told me of a 440 they have set up like it........

Is there a BENEFIT to him installing it this way??

No hijack intended.......I think we're on the same wavelength here.......

Mainly the rockers are adjustable and stronger. No real biggie for most people. Most just want to bolt down the rocker shafts and not worry about adjustment. More RPM is available when adjusted correctly and you can account for the inevitable production tolerances.

-
Back