Hydraulic Clutch Kit Any Suggestions??

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score

Attachments

• Dart 4speed.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 750
Nice find! There are quite a bit of people who use readily available clutch kits from McLeod and other manus, that utilize a hydraulic release bearing that eliminates the use of a fork. The downside to that is maintenance, in my opinion.

I have been researching this quite a bit and to the best option I've seen used from multiple posts on multiple threads, here on this forum, was the use of a 7/8" bore master cylinder and a 7/8" bore pull type slave cylinder that used the fork and pulled it rearward.

I've seen some pull master/slave combos on ebay for around $150. The fork that was used was a typical A body fork, drilled for the pull rod where the spring usually goes into it. The slave cylinder was anchored back at the trans crossmember.

This is another thread that is going long, regarding different types of methods used.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=111276

The reason I like the 7/8" master / 7/8" slave pull is because it's easily accessible for maintenance and replacement.

If you are looking for an easier foot than the 3 finger type pressure plates, I know that McLeod and other manus do offer a diaphragm type clutch pressure plate. I've seen some for around $150 for the 10.5 clutch. If you do use them, you are supposed to ditch the overcenter spring at the pedal. I think that spring, along with the 3 finger type diaphragm is largely to blame for the pedal stiffness, along with any poor linkage function of the Z bar, etc.

The nice thing about hydraulic is that you ditch the Z bar and it works with 3 finger or diaphragm type pressure plates. The two 3 finger clutch cars that I've driven felt stiff. The diaphragm clutch car that I drove was nice and still used a Z bar. I'd imagine using both diaphragm pressure plate and hydraulic actuation would make it feel like a newer car.

If you can't find a 5.1" Bellhousing, the 4.8" works if you have it machined out, or you can use a different front bearing housing or possibly machine it to match whatever bell you can get.

I am using the hydraulic throwout kit from American Powertrain. I can give more detail and pics if you want.

I went back and forth on the slave versus hydraulic throwout. With the TTI headers, big block, and A body, the clearance gained is really nice. Hopefully I don't have any issues. *fingers crossed*

Crazy68Dart

Did you have to modify the American Powertrain kit in any way? I am going to be doing the same set-up (TTI's , big block, 67 Dart) in my ride. More details and pics would be nice.

Thanks

No, I used the kit as is. The biggest issue I had with the kit is that the master cylinder is slightly too long and a small area of the inner fender needed to be trimmed out. I literally worked for weeks to try to figure out a way to avoid it. I could have mounted the MC under the dash in some way, modified the firewall, etc. but in the end I just trimmed the fender. Now, mind you, I also mini tubbed the Dart, it has a cage, custom dash, etc. so it is not a factory resto. All depends on what you are doing.

Anyway, I like the mount for the MC because it is adjustable. The kit works out nice. I thought I had more pictures of the throw out, etc. but I don't.

The kit is very complete, and the support from AP is awesome. I don't have any run time on the car, still trying to get it finished. I can get you more pics if you want. of the MC mounting.

I ended up getting the drive shaft, flywheel, clutch kit, and throw out kit through AP.

View attachment IMG_9668.jpg

View attachment IMG_2901.jpg

View attachment IMG_8789.jpg

View attachment IMG_9128.jpg

View attachment IMG_9129.jpg

View attachment IMG_9126.jpg

Have you got any pictures of the pedal linkage to the master? Just curious where the AP kit put the pushrod on the clutch pedal.

-
Back