-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just wondering about hyd lifter preload
Adjustment.
My 68 383 has comp adjustable roller rockers I adjusted the aprox 4 -5 years ago, I noticed after the engine warms up I can hear a few lifters clacking ( I hope lifters anyway lol)
I'd like to pull the valve covers and re adjust to make sure..
Should I load the lifters with a little more pre load? I can't remember what I set them at initially.
I don't care about leaving a little power on the table.
Thanks for any advice

The general rule is basically tdc of the compression stroke of the cylinder you are adjusting.

Then adjust till 0 lash, basically till there is no play in the pushrod, then depending on who you talk to add 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the adjuster.

IMHO I would contact the cam/rocker/lifter manufacturer for their recommendations.

The general rule is basically tdc of the compression stroke of the cylinder you are adjusting.

Then adjust till 0 lash, basically till there is no play in the pushrod, then depending on who you talk to add 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the adjuster.

IMHO I would contact the cam/rocker/lifter manufacturer for their recommendations.
Thank you maybe ill contact Comp
I'm running Comp hyd lifters and a 68 RR cam.. nothing crazy.
Thanks again

I just posted my actual instructions but just a few days ago. Same deal, how do I ……

I just posted my actual instructions but just a few days ago. Same deal, how do I ……
I wish I had a Dollar for every time this question was asked here..
All the information in the world at peoples fingertips, but they just don't know what to do with it..LOL
Oh look, Comp has an online PDF telling you how to do it.
Imagine that!
https://www.compcams.com/pub/media/productattach/c/o/comp4-116.pdf
We wouldn’t have a forum if people couldn’t ask any questions.

I'm a light touch. I adjust 1/4 to 1/2 turn down max. If it ticks on cold startup, so be it.

All the information in the world at peoples fingertips, but they just don't know what to do with it..LOL
Imagine that!
Imagine that!
My post was not asking how to do the adjustment , it was asking for advice on possible lifter noise. And what preload you guys are running, I've been hearing preload adjust from 1/8 turn all the way to 1 turn.
Im just trying to get advice from the people actually turning the wrenches.
What would you recommend for preload bakerlite?

The reason you hear different amounts of “turns” past zero to set preload is because it depends on the lifter you are using and what the thread pitch on your adjusters is. Find out what comp wants those lifters to run at, (usually they give a range like .030-.060) and then calculate how far you have to turn your adjuster to get that amount. Or you can just turn them 1/2 turn past zero and be on your way.

The reason you hear different amounts of “turns” past zero to set preload is because it depends on the lifter you are using and what the thread pitch on your adjusters is. Find out what comp wants those lifters to run at, (usually they give a range like .030-.060) and then calculate how far you have to turn your adjuster to get that amount. Or you can just turn them 1/2 turn past zero and be on your way.
Not by my definition. I don't go by the thread pitch. I go by how far the rocker pushes the plunger into the body of the lifter. Generally, I aim for .025" - .030". Easily measured by scribing the pushrod. Nine times out of ten I've found through the years that 1/4 to 1/2 turn down from zero lash gets them right in the ballpark.

All well and good until it's becomes an echo chamber, or a cage full of Parrots..
Who cares, if I was as knowledgeable as most of these guys/gals on here, I’d be more than happy to answer their questions. What does it matter to ask repeat questions, a lot of people are new to these forums that don’t know how to use the search function.

Who cares, if I was as knowledgeable as most of these guys/gals on here, I’d be more than happy to answer their questions. What does it matter to ask repeat questions, a lot of people are new to these forums that don’t know how to use the search function.
Yes, let's not have them perform to even the most basic of expectations.
Expectations that we teach and expect from Primary School children. This is not a improvement, it's a decline, all to the cheers of those like you..

Yes, let's not have them perform to even the most basic of expectations.
Expectations that we teach and expect from Primary School children. This is not a improvement, it's a decline, all to the cheers of those like you..
You’re saying you we’re born smart, I highly doubt that. You’re dumber than a box of rocks. You have never asked a question that’s never been asked before, I highly doubt that too.

You’re saying you we’re born smart, I highly doubt that. You’re dumber than a box of rocks. You have never asked a question that’s never been asked before, I highly doubt that too.
You don't have to be smart to use a search function, especially in today's world.
When you went to the Library, did you read the book or just ask the Librarian for the answer?
I'm smart enough to know how to catch my own fish, instead of continually relying on the fish monger.
Your just part of the "dumb it down" culture.. You're lucky I even bother to converse with you.

You don't have to be smart to use a search function, especially in today's world.
When you went to the Library, did you read the book or just ask the Librarian for the answer?
I'm smart enough to know how to catch my own fish, instead of continually relying on the fish monger.
Your just part of the "dumb it down" culture.. You're lucky I even bother to converse with you.
With all this yakking you’re doing, you could’ve answered the OP’s question. You really like to deflect from the question, don’t you?

Since you don’t know the answer, you should’ve never responded.

Ummm... It's "You're," not "Your," smart guy. :poke:

I actually spelt it both ways in that paragraph, but you edited it out. That's a bit naughty, a bit "fake news" Mr Spellcheck Police..

Usually I don't even bother writing "you're".. It seems to be inadvertently slipping in now and again!!
Your :) not the first to try and score some lame *** spellchecker point's on that one and probably won't be the last. LOL
I usually concern myself with "what" is being said, not "how".. But if you think that "your" vs "you're" is somehow a context game changer, then go right ahead..

I actually spelt it both ways in that paragraph, but you edited it out. That's a bit naughty, a bit "fake news" Mr Spellcheck Police..

Usually I don't even bother writing "you're".. It seems to be inadvertently slipping in now and again!!
Your :) not the first to try and score some lame *** spellchecker point's on that one and probably won't be the last. LOL
I usually concern myself with "what" is being said, not "how".. But if you think that "your" vs "you're" is somehow a context game changer, then go right ahead..

I think you missed the obvious and hilarious irony of the sentence itself. Others didn't though. Catch up man.

I think you missed the obvious and hilarious irony of the sentence itself. Others didn't though. Catch up man.
Oh I get it, so your Chris Rock??
Guess it all comes down to interpretation..Right Chris?

Last edited:
Oh I get it, so your Chris Rock??
Guess it all comes down to interpretation..Right Chris?
12EF22ED-5F87-4E25-A8E7-1A7AE5CDC573.gif
C0860FC2-9D1D-4F47-B216-51E17BFA68F9.gif

Last edited:
Not by my definition. I don't go by the thread pitch. I go by how far the rocker pushes the plunger into the body of the lifter. Generally, I aim for .025" - .030". Easily measured by scribing the pushrod. Nine times out of ten I've found through the years that 1/4 to 1/2 turn down from zero lash gets them right in the ballpark.
Sounds like you've done it a few times.
You really don't want to go over a 1/2 turn.

-
Back