hydraulic lifters

-

n00blike

Reaction score
Hello, I have been working on getting my car up and running but keep running into a lot of little things here and there.

I have a 74 duster with a 360. It has an edelbrock performer rpm camshaft that came with hydraulic lifters.

The problem is that I keep getting excessive noise from the (what i think) the valve area.

When I did the valve adjustment I noticed that about 3 lifters where not giving me resistance when adding the preload. I could almost bottom out the adjustment screw and still spin the pushrod freely. So I set them to a similar setting to all the others.

Now with the noise coming from when the engine is running I think that maybe bad. What do you'll think?

If you are sure they are the correct style lifters then you might have a couple of bad ones.
It's all too common.
Are they quality or budget?

Not sure, they are the ones that came with the edelbrock cam.

If I do need to replace them what will I need to know?

I know for pushrods you need to measure when ordering but not sure about lifters.

Any recommendations?

Not sure, they are the ones that came with the edelbrock cam.

If I do need to replace them what will I need to know?

I know for pushrods you need to measure when ordering but not sure about lifters.

Any recommendations?

I'm not very experienced on cams and lifters, but I thought I would ask the questions to keep your post up and possibly help you get someone that is. :)

I know one of our members went through this with his not long ago and had to change a few out.

Are you sure that "spinning" the pushrod is a good way to check if it is properly adjusted?

Hydraulic lifters bleed down if there is pressure put on them for a period of time, like having a valve open for example. there will always be an open valve or two on a v-8 at any given time.

What are the proper rocker arm adjustment procedures recommended by the manufacturer of the lifters/rockers?

I have broken the cam in. This engine ran for a few hundred miles already but than sat for a few years.

I'm in the process of getting my car back on the road so I inspected the engine and filled with new fluids. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary form what I have seen on this site and on tv.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge installed (apart from the factory one) so I don't know how much pressure I have. I can install one later this week.

Here is what Edelbrock has:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7177/10002/-1

"VALVE ADJUSTMENT
1. Turn the engine over until the No. 1 cylinder exhaust lifter
starts to move up. Adjust intake rocker arm to zero clearance
between rocker arm and valve tip. From this point turn adjusting
nut down (clockwise) 1/4 turn more for final adjustment.
2. Turn the engine over again until the intake lifter just stops coming
down. Adjust exhaust rocker arm to zero clearance between
rocker arm and valve tip. From this point turn adjusting nut
down (clockwise) 1/4 turn more for final adjustment.
3. The above procedure assures correct hydraulic lifter preload.
Repeat this procedure for each of the other seven cylinders."

Being new to valve adjustments I went on youtube for a more visual example and kept seeing people use the spinning method.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5rLpbCgI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5rLpbCgI[/ame]

don't use the spin method. hold the pushrod in your fingers and use the up and down method

-
Back