Hydroboost anyone using stock PS pump?

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
Thinking about grabbing a hydroboost system (can get the unit for free) from wrecked astro van. The PS pump is toast.
Has anyone used the stock mopar power steering pumps with a hydroboost conversion? Mine is the canned ham type Saginaw unit. I've read that the hydroboost needs 1500-1600 psi and 3.5-4 GPM flow.
What modifications were needed on your PS pump ?

Thinking about grabbing a hydroboost system (can get the unit for free) from wrecked astro van. The PS pump is toast.
Has anyone used the stock mopar power steering pumps with a hydroboost conversion? Mine is the canned ham type Saginaw unit. I've read that the hydroboost needs 1500-1600 psi and 3.5-4 GPM flow.
What modifications were needed on your PS pump ?

I'm running one on my Scout on a stock Saginaw pump. I installed an auxiliary cooler just for insurance. Have had no problems with no pump modifications.

So you just used the stock "Scout pump", and not a hydroboost pump , right ?

That is correct. Folks I'd talked to were split about 50/50 on how bad you 'need' the higher pressure. Like you, I got most of the stuff free/really cheap. I decided to try stock pump and if needed later, it'd be an easy swap. I haven't had any issues. I understand that the stock pump is in the 1100psi range and the HB pump is around 1500psi. I may upgrade someday just for S&G's, but not because I think I need it...

Yes. The kits that you get that use the Mustang hydrboost use the factory Mopar pump, with a mod IIRC in regard to the hose fittings in the pump.

20 years ago I swapped a Cummins Turbodiesel into my 75 Dodge B300 van. Because of the radiator I used there was no room left for the van's original vacuum brake booster. I ended up using a hydroboost from a Chevy P30 van. I used the stock Saginaw pump that came on the diesel. It worked just fine for the 3 years/35,000 miles the van was on the road.

-
Back