Hypothetical 8.75 BBP rear axle/ brake swap

-

drewmac

Reaction score
I have a hypothetical axle/ brake swap to run by you all. I have a '67 Barracuda with all new 8.75 rear end brakes, bearing, retainers, etc.. I want to go to a big bolt pattern in the rear. I have already done the 11 3/4 big disc swap in the front. My hypothetical question is if I buy new big bolt axles for the rear can I reuse my brakes? Now before I get various answers let me lay out the scenario in full:

New axles with 4.5" pattern for $200 (made for b-body brakes)
Add a .4" spacer between axle housing and existing brake backing plate and longer studs on end of housing.
R-edrill existing drums to 4.5" pattern
I know many will ask why keep the small brakes but with the 11.75's up front I really don't think I will need the bigger brakes.

Of course my other option is to get some Moser axles with the appropriate axle offset and just get the drums re-drilled but I wanted to just bounce an alternate idea off you all.

I think it's more work than its worth. Just get some 10x2-1/2 drums and backing plates and be done.

I agree with Dano. Very often the late model 10" drum setups can be found in the wrecking yards with fresh surfaces and shoes. The set I got for my Barracuda were not fresh, but they were FREE.

Are you going to machine your .4 spacers so they register the drum properly? You really aren't going to be able to stuff a .4 spacer in there with a flat face.

I take it the axles you have are SBP. There is no "easy" swap here. The easiest is using the stuff you have, redrill drums and axles 4.5" and use screw in studs.

Register the spacers? How would you do that? Do you mean making sure the shoes line up with the drum?

No, the axles have a register that the center of the drum matches. You'd have to machine that part.

I got what you mean. I meant to put the spacers behind the brake backing plate to push the plate out .4" to make up for the longer axle distance from the housing end used on axles designed for b/c body brakes. Mainly I wanted be able to keep the current brakes and later when I need new brakes remove the .4" shim behind the backing plate and bolt on b/c body brakes.

I got what you mean. I meant to put the spacers behind the brake backing plate to push the plate out .4" to make up for the longer axle distance from the housing end used on axles designed for b/c body brakes. Mainly I wanted be able to keep the current brakes and later when I need new brakes remove the .4" shim behind the backing plate and bolt on b/c body brakes.

How are you going to set up the axle bearings/seal plate with longer axle? More spacers? In the end, just use the stock stuff, you'll save money in the end. Just know that you'll need to address the rear rim back space with whatever you do.

That won't work, either. The A-body axles/drums have a smaller register for the drums than the big car axles. Replacement brakes are cheap, just do it all at the same time.

Thanks guys! I really just wanted to bounce some ideas of you and really appreciate the feedback.

-
Back