I 81 in North Va. has a B5 Blue Section, or a Tale of Two Trailers

-

SpikeWills69

Live Free or Die
Reaction score
This requires some explanation; First, let me say, when a speeding vehicle flattens a can of B5 Blue paint, it covers pavement quite nicely.

While making our move a couple of weeks ago from Western NY, to Raleigh, NC, my wife was following me with our daughter's 04 Durango, pulling a small trailer full of stuff. I was the lead vehicle, the moving truck with my 69 Cuda on my trailer.
View attachment CIMG0125.jpgOk,

She followed me all day long on Saturday, without a hitch (pun intended?) After a good nights rest, we started out the next morning and everything was fine... BTW, she lost her cell phone as we finished loading on Friday night. Our neighbor texted me that he found it in the yard the next day, but we were long on the road.

We were on I-81 S. and I looked in my rear-view mirror and saw the Durango headed into the guardrail, the trailer jackknifed behind it. I can't tell you the feelings and thoughts I was experiencing as I pulled off to the roadside as quickly as I could. By the time I got stopped, I was at least a quarter of a mile down the road. I did find out I can still run at my current age. Thank God, she was only shaken and upset. Paramedics checked her over and she was sore for a few days, not to mention traumatized.

Attachments

• CIMG0119.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 294
The first photo (above) is after partial cleanup. The Durango is totaled and yes, the trailer was full of garage stuff and some Cuda stuff. I concluded, it is all just that, STUFF. I am so thankful my dear wife is fine. We are headed to Fredricksburg, Va Thursday to sign off on the Durango with insurance and pick up all the stuff, which I will inventory for damage.

Wished I had taken a photo of the B5 Blue interstate though.

Attachments

• CIMG0116.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 302
So let me get this straight. A can of B5 paint came off your trailer (the one you are towing), your wife sees it and tries to avoid it and runs into the guardrail and jack knifes the trailer? So (not to sound mean) which one of you got the ticket?

On another note, hope every thing works out and your wife will be back up and running full steam so! What are you going to replace your daughters Durango with?

Oh, that was mean :) No, paint came of her trailer. We think a gust of wind hit the trailer on the bridge, right before the accident scene and it started to fishtail, then lost control. Trooper agreed that is what it looked like.

Wow that sucks!! Sorry to hear of this. The good thing is no one was hurt. I live in Willow Spring NC (about 15 mins. from Raleigh) If you want to get together and meet up. P.M. me. Welcome to North Carolina!!!!!

Well glad no one got seriously hurt and no tickets issued (ALWAYS A PLUS!!!)

Glad no one is hurt. I go to Raleigh rather frequently to see my girlfriend at NCSU. Hope you enjoy NC! Hope to see you around

So let me get this straight. A can of B5 paint came off your trailer (the one you are towing), your wife sees it and tries to avoid it and runs into the guardrail and jack knifes the trailer? So (not to sound mean) which one of you got the ticket?

On another note, hope every thing works out and your wife will be back up and running full steam so! What are you going to replace your daughters Durango with?

Wife did get a ticket for not controlling the vehicle or some such thing. Daughter is looking for another Durango with a Hemi, leather etc. She missed two 2006's by hours in the last two days.

If anyone knows of a nice one, preferably with lower mileage, let me know.

If the angle that trailer is sitting at is the same as when it was towing, that was likely the issue.

The Durango needed a drop hitch to level the trailer. She got the "Tail wagging the Dog" is my guess from the trailer being tongue high, not enough tongue weight.

Good to read everyone is OK. Hope the rest of the trip goes better.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Is there anything you need that any of us here in northern Virginia can do to help?

If the angle that trailer is sitting at is the same as when it was towing, that was likely the issue.

The Durango needed a drop hitch to level the trailer. She got the "Tail wagging the Dog" is my guess from the trailer being tongue high, not enough tongue weight.

Good to read everyone is OK. Hope the rest of the trip goes better.

The angle you see is a result of the accident and the trailer wedged against the Durango. It was riding level and we were also very careful how the weight was distributed. Thanks for the good wishes.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Is there anything you need that any of us here in northern Virginia can do to help?

Thanks so much. Insurance company moved everything to Fredericksburg, so headed up there Thursday. I will keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Cool. Just an observation from the pics. Good nobody got hurt.

Can't tell you the number of trailer accidents we get to see where I live. Trucks looking like they want to wheelie, others with the tongue so high you could walk under them!

Thanks guys for all the kind words and offers for help. At my daughters to stay tonight in Va. then off to Fredericksburg tomorrow to take care of everything.

Well, after two trips to Fredericksburg from my daughter's in Hampton, Va. we were able to retrieve everything (at least everything that was there). Have you figured out I have to do things the hard way? Should have been able to do it in one trip, but, no, not me. Anyway, got some good stuff, like BB bell housing, bunch of new suspension parts, front hubs & rotors, my new calipers and a bunch of other stuff. My "Cuda" hood scoops survived, not sure yet if my air compressor did. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff got wet in the move between locations and rust on new and reconditioned parts really stinks. Already started cleaning that stuff up. Two drawers of top section of my tool chest are empty, so missing a bunch of tools, mainly sets of end wrenches, screwdrivers etc. Man, I wish I had checked that the day of the accident, oh well. And... to be honest, at this point I may be missing stuff and have no idea. Anyway, wife and I are back in NC, some the stuff is in my daughters garage in Hampton and the Durango has already been replaced (my other daughters) so insurance has worked out pretty well considering. They are also writing a check for the trailer. Sorry I don't have more pics, and I know I took to long to update everyone.,

Glad everyone is ok, that could have been a lot worst. The good news is you moved to a great location and you have a Mopar Performance Shop in your area at the Chrysler Dodge dealership on Capital Blvd. I live in Greenville, NC about an hour away. Just for your info there is a Great Mopar event happening on this Saturday the day before Mothers day at Farmington NC just past Winston Salem, at the farmington dragstrip. Good luck and welcome to the area.

-
Back