I accidentally ordered the wrong timing chain...opinions?

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
So, I'm nearing the end of my engine build and it appears that I may have ordered the wrong timing set. I ordered the Comp 2103, but in the past I have always used the Comp 3103.

COMP Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Sets 2103
COMP Cams Hi-Tech Roller Race Timing Sets 3103

Has anyone used the 2103 on a race application (in the 580-600hp ball park), if so, did it hold up ok?....or should I just stop kidding my self and send it back and buy the one I meant to buy in the fist place?

Here is a side by side pic of the my old 3103 chain (left) next to the new 2103 chain (right). You can see that the 3103 has much larger rollers.

Any real life experience with the 2103 is appreciated.

IMG_2402[1].JPG

Eat the return fees and go with what you know. If you loose a timing chain you loose more than the chain. I know, I have had 3 go in my life time. Nylon teeth on a late 60s - early 70s Ford 289 (not a clearance motor), 85 Chevy cavalier with a 2.0L 4 banger (true clearance motor) and a 92 Chevy Lumina Variable Fuel (ie M85, as in methanol compatible) not as much a clearance motor as everyone said!

Small blocks eat timing chains. The crank and cam center lines are so far apart. Put the best chain in you can find!!

Just guessing but the one with the big rollers is probably a true roller and the smaller one is just a double roller with pins instead.

Just list the incorrect one in the for sale section. Plenty of people build engines that aint gonna be hangin the hoops. lol

Ok, I just ordered the correct one. I don't want to chance it, and I believe Summit is kinda like Walmart (they take anything back).

Thanks all.

You seen his junk? Look in his avatar. That's it. Maybe he will post a big picture. It's a bad little beeotch.
Thanks for the kind words RRR, I'm at work right now, but if I remember later I'll dig up some pics.

Funny story, I used some drag racing slang at work a few years back recounting a story about winning the previous weekend... I ended up with 2 of my fellow scientists looking confused....I said I "knocked the tree down" and both of them winced in pain..."is your car OK?" ....LOL!!!....I laughed SOOO hard, and had to explain what a reaction time was, yada yada...too funny.

Last edited:
I ran the 2103 set in a mild street 360, after 25k miles it had about 3/4" of slack. I would recommend something better for a race car most definitely and I personally won't be using one of those sets again. Got my eye on a Cloyes set this time around...

This is the right chain if you want to save $50 and use your old sprockets
0BE0131A-35B0-411C-AD54-C2295FF3DBD3.png

They don't look too different from one another.imo

I use and recommend the mancini racing billet set for builds beyond just a cam change and carb swap, especially if you're running a solid or solid roller cam...the heavier springs are harder on the chain.

The billet Comp looks like a quality piece also

Last edited:
-
Back