I Almost Died Today!!

-
Hey, We all live and learn! Beware if the hoist arm is extended out to the max; it can tip the motor over also. So I always have two people - the one working the jack also stands on the back crossmember as a counter weight. God bless you. Wayne

How do you feel this morning 71dodge? Man you are so lucky. When I was you age I did plenty of things that could have ben worse in the end. Now I think someone has other plans for me I why i'm still here. :-D

im not bad im not good either a little sore in the chest area and my friend cant feel his arms lol

ya i know i will not be able to move and i cant drink im 15 :(

Hey That never stopped me when i was 15 (now 17). Glad to here that you are ok! One time when my demon was on jackstands all the way around i got into the trunk and the whole front end started to lift, good thing i cut out the spare tire well, i just jumped through the hole in the floor and it slammed back down onto the stands. Scary Stuff dude....

In my past experience i've rigged and picked vessels as large as 30 tons. Now ya need to have your brain engaged when doing this and it's no different with something as small as a motor. Glad your ok but remember, A brain is a terrible thing to waste.
Small Block

Glad to hear you survived! I respect the car care you took, but remember paint and dents can be fixed, your life on the other hand is a one shot deal.

Gonna agree with this one. Been working on cars all my life in various forms: on frame racks (ever heard a chain come off? sounds like a 12 gauge shot gun being fired off in the shop...) on lifts, under cars... the car, the job, the part, is never worth your life! Glad to hear you're okay: but screw the car, it can be fixed!

ya well the car sustained no damage and neither did i

soooo glad you are ok and this sure could have been worse...
Live and learn and I think you will be even sorer tomorrow.
I bet your father freaked and turned into super man.:cheers:

Glad you are still with us young gun 8)8)8)

ya he got it off of me and on the ground IT IS HEAVY

You've still got the young mentallity of you can't get hurt. I've still got a little of that in me too, but its going away. Listen to everyone here, it is just a car. Would it have been worth losing a leg over? Or worse your back? Sitting in a chair for the rest of your life because you didn't want to scratch your paint.

I remember scary stuff as well.

I was a bit older than 15 (early 20's), but I had a '69 Dart that I was building as a drag car. I had the car up on jackstands...all four corners in their proper place. Mind you, the car was very light. No motor, fiberglass doors and bumpers. No interior (window cranks removed, lexan widows, ect.).

So i was putting the 8 3/4 rear in it. It was being a bit of a *****. I pushed up on the rear as hard as i could and I lifted the car off one of the jackstands while under it.

I set it down very slowly and got out underneath it as fast as possible. I rearranged the jackstands, but it took me a day to get the courage to get back underneath it to complete the rear end.

Things like that you never forget.

ya well the car sustained no damage and neither did i
You are very lucky. Please remember this for future referance.
It's hard to say what I would have done in your situation. But now at 42 I would have got out of the way and let that sucker fall and figure it out after the dust settles. I cant say I havn't pulled a engine on unlevel ground(you've seen my driveway:-D) in the last year, but will think twice now. :read2:

Man, what a scary place to be. Been there myself, once tried to keep a goldwing from tipping over when I worked at a cycle shop....about broke my arm and leg, and once had a motor try to take off a couple of my fingers....thank God for my wedding ring that got pinched between the motor and the fender. Slowly slid my hand out of the ring and there it was holding the weight of the engine.
Be safe let it fall next time. Glad you're OK and thanks for the safety reminder, we all get a little too sloppy sometimes.

Your very lucky my freind.

Next time,think it through!

-
Back