I am only going to say this once

-
My first car, an SS396 had a Holley and worked great. My two small block Camaro's and my Duster360 all run the 1850 Holley. I made the decision a long time ago to stick with one carb and it has greatly simplified maintaining the hobby fleet. Best carb there is? Probably not, it's 50's technology but when properly tuned throttle response is great, economy and a soot free idle are not a priority for me. I can rebuild one blindfolded too. In my personal experience of some half million miles over the last 30yrs they have not been the Achilles heal as others have suffered.

well, I spoke too soon. Holley is coming off today and putting a new Eddy Thunder series 650 on it.

yeah, It was pretty dark over there. like ole Pink Floyd said"dark side of the moon". lol

I wonder why all the go fast mopars all ended up holleys from the start. T/a's, AAR's, Six pack Bee's, Six bbl RR's. Hemi Dart's and Hemi barracuda's.

I am not choosing one over another. When it comes to tuning a carb you either know how or you don't. When it comes to Holley's they are not as forgiving. So if you do not know what you are doing with setting up fuel transfer from idle to torque to RPM power then stay with a more user freindly Carter . Eddy or TQ.

Not that they are bad carbs they are just more forgiving but not as easy to make changes. I myself like them all but I prefer a holley over all others. Nothing like a Dominator on a big inch motor. Except port injection with boost. Todays pump gas eats carbs up.

Attachments

• DSCF0171[1].jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0041[1].jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 79
  • brian's motor5.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 81
  • steve 027.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 75
well, I spoke too soon. Holley is coming off today and putting a new Eddy Thunder series 650 on it.

Nothing like comparing a 40 yr old carb to a brand new one....lol

even a new carb will need to be adjusted to work....

I ALWAYS ran holley carbs when I was younger, but now that I am old I want to spend my time left driving and not tuning! Remember we only have soo many days left to enjoy our cars and I want to soend as much time as possible behind the wheel. Just saying! LOL

Well Steve, reading your post, I do believe that is what I am doing here.LOL. I made it clear many times in posts that I am not a carb. person. Yeah, I can adjust them some as I did with this Holley. It wouldn't even run hardly when I first put it on. I played with it and it ran ok but when we took it out the other day for a 10 mile drive, my son told me that it kept wanting to surge some. so I figured it needed a kit. The guy I got it from told me it had been sitting for awhile so I just decided to put an Edelbrock Thunder series on it because that was the consensus from a lot of guys here as what would be best for me. So I did take your advise. I don't know how to super tune a Holley. I gave it a shot and didn't like it so I am going to a more friendlier carb. Eddy. Besides, like Dartman said. I am remodeling the house, helping my son with his car. I don't have time to mess with it. I gave it back to my friend and I am not out anything except experience.LOL

I agree holley's are for those who have time to play with them. In your case an eddy is the right choice . The pic of the truck with the blower had eddies. linkage was easy and they were bolt on out of the box. I had holley's for it but had many other bugs to figure out before carb tuning. Old holley's are plagued with power valve problems. no anti blowout valves. never use an old holley for the street without that modification done. You made the right choice for a driver. have fun with the car. Steve

Thanks steve. The eddy should be here today from Jegs. I have to take a road trip tonight to pick up a 904 for the car. the one I threw in it I think is slipping when you put it to the test. I took a chance when I put it in that it was bad. anyway, that is for later this week. fun fun

-
Back