I am posting this here because nothing else makes sense

-
Yes, Edward, it's always something! Just part of the joy of being a fan of old,MOPARS.
Try finding parts for a pre '67 A body!! Check my sig!

BC

Sun magnified through a piece of glass. It only takes a second or two. Learned that in the Cub Scouts

I found the cause of the fire, around post 42 I discussed it.

I now have all the damaged parts replacements sitting on the desk in front of me. I pick up Natalie on Monday. Then as usual I will take her home and tear into her to get the parts R/R. Should only take a couple hours on the outside. I still need the speedo to come in the mail and then she will literally good as new

The half-clips that holds the heater box together are next to impossible to get back on the box. Especially with these arthritic hands.

I am using a temporary fix to hold it together until I find some other way that works.

Attachments

• 2013-12-06 16.29.47.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 2013-12-06 16.30.06.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2013-12-06 16.30.16.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 133
For those clips, what dad n I did was bend them back a bit before putting them on. They were tight as hell from the factory, that is why all the boxes you see now are broken there. Bend/spread them out a bit and the will go on ezee peezee

Those clips are a real pain. The ones you can get to with a stubby screw driver are not too bad to get on but there are some omitted from my Valiant because I never could get them back on.

Close encounter . Did you notice anything unusual in your area like men in black with sunglasses walking around?

Close encounter . Did you notice anything unusual in your area like men in black with sunglasses walking around?

At the risk of being your straight man, No I haven't. Why?

ON a different note; I have been driving my neighbors nuts. I set up my wireless with the name USDOJ SURVEILLANCE VAN.

I have the car up in the air, about 12" higher than normal I have the jack stands on top of wooden boxes. I bring out my needle scaler and start breaking thru some of the junk under the car.
The drive shaft is in the way so I undo the U-joint (the bolts were only finger tight) and not knowing if the tranny will spill out if I pull it out, I set the the drive shaft on a extended jack stand.
All is going well until I bump the jack stand and the drive shaft falls, don't worry, I caught it with my forehead before it hit the ground.

The needle scaler worked nicely, lots of the undercoating, caked on grease and dirt was blasted away. In many places it went down to bare metal. Being in Arizona I am not real worried about rust. I wish it were wet enough to rust.

Jack stands sitting on wooden boxes??? Makes me nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs! Glad ya caught the driveshaft with your head, maybe it'll knock some sense into your head. I'm not tryin' to tell ya how to run (or END) your life, but that doesn't sound safe to me. Is your life insurance paid up?

BC

Jack stands sitting on wooden boxes??? Makes me nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs! Glad ya caught the driveshaft with your head, maybe it'll knock some sense into your head. I'm not tryin' to tell ya how to run (or END) your life, but that doesn't sound safe to me. Is your life insurance paid up?

BC

3/4" plywood per layer and 3 2X4s between each layer.
The middle 2x4 is diagonal in the center. Looks like a 'N'.
It is big enough that the jack stand legs are not near the edge of the box. This is not my regular jack stand, just one of the spares

I did not load test it, but I would be willing to bet that the jack stands are the weak link in this formula.

PS..... Out of curiosity I went into the garage and jacked up the car then placed the boxes under the rear tire. A little hairy at first as the car does not go straight down when the jack is lowered. These are only 10" high. I wish I had a higher jack

Attachments

• 2013-12-16 11.26.45.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013-12-16 11.37.44.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 94
I just get scared when folks use non-standard vehicle supports. Cinder blocks, logs and wooden boxes can fail unexpectedly. So can jackstands, I suppose, but the heirs might have a liability claim on the maker. As the years keep piling up I find I'm not as quick or agile as in years gone by - don't heal as fast either. Good luck!

BC

I just get scared when folks use non-standard vehicle supports. Cinder blocks, logs and wooden boxes can fail unexpectedly. So can jackstands, I suppose, but the heirs might have a liability claim on the maker. As the years keep piling up I find I'm not as quick or agile as in years gone by - don't heal as fast either. Good luck!

BC

When I was a kid, we would do everything with just a pair of ramps. Now I need all four jack stands just to be able to do any work under there and it is uncomfortably close unless I forgo the creeper.
By putting it on the wood blocks, I have room and my claustrophobia ( that developed as I got older) does not kick in.

The wood boxes/stands/blocks are about as sturdy as I can make them. There must be 25 to 39 10d nails in each one and a few 3.5" screws

The only reason I did not use all 2x4s in the middle, is it is easier to pick them up with these clubs that I use to call hands

When I was a kid, our "gang" did lots of foolish things too and never thought about death or crippling injuries. Then I GOT injured and got a lot more cautious. Then I got older, fatter and slower, and maybe too quick to tell others how they should behave. Now, I'm using this: http://kwik-lift.com/products.html Have fun, be safe and good luck!

BC

I just installed an Electronic Ignition into Natalie. What an improvement! As good as I had her set up yesterday, she now purrs to perfection. There is only one thing that she needs but will need to wait a few months and that is new tires. The new ignition must have improved the horsepower by 25%. It is amazing. Too bad Minnesota Dragways is so far away. I am a happy camper

That would be the kit we discussed a little while ago? New distributor, Mopar ignition box, etc? What coil did you wind up with and did you keep the stock ballast resistor??

BC

I have a Mancini distributor, control box and ballast resistor, I have the MSD 8207 coil. I took out the 43 year old original equipment. I did put the old coil and distributor in a box for safe keeping in case I need it down the road.
I told my wife maybe I should put a price of $30k on it and see if anyone bites. She asked if I would sell it if someone came up with the money. I said no, just thinking out loud

I just installed an Electronic Ignition into Natalie. What an improvement! As good as I had her set up yesterday, she now purrs to perfection. There is only one thing that she needs but will need to wait a few months and that is new tires. The new ignition must have improved the horsepower by 25%. It is amazing. Too bad Minnesota Dragways is so far away. I am a happy camper

That is until 17:00 today, driving around when the car dies. I try to restart and it is obvious it is the fuel or ignition. Just as I am taking out a screwdriver to see if it is sparking, I see a whiff of smoke. Then there is lots more smoke, I remove the key and see the MSD 8207 Coil is bloated and smoking badly. Called my wife and ask her to find the old parts I removed. She drove them to me. I replaced the new coil with the old one. Starts immediately and I am on my way home

-
Back