I am the master of weird problems.

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
I bought a nice pair of Super Stock springs from the swap meet. I was told they are for an a body. They bolted on easily enough. However, when I let the car settle, the rear shackles pivot backwards until they butt up against the frame crossmember. This also causes the arch in the springs to flatten out lowering the car back to stock ride height. Any idea why this would be? What can I do to fix this? Are the springs the wrong length?

Yeah they are too long must be for b or e body just measure the ones you removed and compare, and also if they are b or e body then the front of the spring will be about 2 inches longer then a body and that's going to throw off where your rear end sits which is going to cause more problems with alignment of drive shaft, shocks etc.

Yeah they are too long must be for b or e body just measure the ones you removed and compare, and also if they are b or e body then the front of the spring will be about 2 inches longer then a body and that's going to throw off where your rear end sits which is going to cause more problems with alignment of drive shaft, shocks etc.

The weird part as I put it earlier is that my wheels appear to be perfectly centered when the car is settled. Drive shaft still has some give at yoke too.

Real SS springs normally raise the car. The rear shackles should lslant a little forward but not enough to hit the rear.

The front segment on all A-body springs is 20" from front spring eye centerline to the locating pin where the u-bolts mount. I'm pretty sure all SS springs have the same front CL distance of 20". IIRC, when SS springs are used in a B or E body the front mount must be longer for those cars to make up the difference. It's also possible that your springs are not genuine Mopar but an aftermarket copy made a little differently.

Maybe they are Mopar Oval Track springs that have a 20-1/2" front segment. They come in 1" and 0" arch part numbers.

Everything above is based on my memory but I'm pretty sure it's correct.

I ran into the same thing. They are B-body springs (which I had understood never really existed - I had heard that all SS springs were A-body length, perhaps it's just the front segment). I put those sub-leaves on an A-body main leaf. We'll see how they work on my Barracuda when I get it done...

Did you compare the ends of the new springs with the ends of the old springs to see if they were the same length unloaded?

-
Back