I believe it is, but wanted another opinion.

-

Jonnylightening

Reaction score
Ok guys take a look at this crank. I'm a bit of a newb but i'm learnin. Now from what I've read a factory steel crank has a casting line of aproximate 1/4" vs the pencil sized line of the cast. Also the steel has a rounded more uglier casting than the factory cast. I've also read that in a 400 B block '72-'73 was the last year they used the steel crank. Is this correct? The reason I ask is because I recently bought a '76 casted 400 engine, when I started tearing into it I found this beautiful piece. So can anyone enlighten me on this, is this a true steel crank? If so how'd it end up in a '76 engine?

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 187
  • crank2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 211
.........Yup, its forged steel............could be from a truck with a manual trans..........or a rebuild with a 383 crank.....kim........

.........Yup, its forged steel............could be from a truck with a manual trans..........or a rebuild with a 383 crank.....kim........
X2......all the big block manual trans engines came with forged cranks regardless of year or model.

............Not true, the 73-4 chargers with 400 4 gears had a cast crank and an offset balanced flywheel....the front balancer was also the standard weighted 1.......kim......

Not the ones I've had through the years. Mine were all forged cranks....just like the 383 it replaced. Any photos of your flywheel? I'd like to see one.

-
Back