I call BS on this one....key chain my A$$!!!

-
I completely understand about the selling a vehicle. I'm just gonna leave it alone. I was just trying to understand from a diff point of view. But now I feel like I have done something wrong.

I must be missing it because I didn't see whats illegal in the nailhead listing.

Nothing is, he's talking about there being to many keywords

Yup. Not illegal, but keyword spam is against Ebay's own rules. Yet no matter how many times it gets reported, nobody cares.............and............

you notice this VIN is till for sale.

I completely understand about the selling a vehicle. I'm just gonna leave it alone. I was just trying to understand from a diff point of view. But now I feel like I have done something wrong.
if you haven't done it already , you haven't done anything wrong. for some reason , some people think its ok to switch tags and dashes, but its not. at least now you know. whats even worse is when people buy and sell nothing but the VIN tag, the fender tag , and a title to a car that doesn't exist any more , and then try to copy the car with another body and sell them as originals. ive even seen a vin tag, fender tag , build sheet , title, and a matching engine block for sale as a numbers matching package !! LMAO

No worries, its better to discuss it and learn from it so you don't get into future trouble or lose a car over it.

I learned something here, I removed a dash from a 73 Barracuda and sold it about 20 years ago, I wonder where it is now :toothy9:

OK.. What about selling tittles ? I have seen this many times at swap meets
and I would like some in-site on it if anyone can in-lighten me.
Sorry if it is off topic :toothy9:

It's a "Keychain" VIN tag, but the core support is also available...why the hell would you mention that if you weren't doing the old "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge?"

It's a "Keychain" VIN tag, but the core support is also available...why the hell would you mention that if you weren't doing the old "Wink, wink, nudge, nudge?"

Exactly.....

What he's doing is illegal. No matter how you slice it or what the "nailhead" says. It doesn't matter that he has it cloaked with a "allowable" or "legal" listing. He's breaking the law.

Sorry memike I can't answer your question but I got one of my own.

If I'm not mistaken it is a felony to tamper at all with a vin plate or cover it from view. Whatbif, hypothetically, I had a car with a rusted dash and had to switch another dash into the car? Would I swap tags or leave them? I've always wondered.

You would need the car to end up with its original VIN plate.

If you gotta rusted out dash, I think it would be ok to replace it.

You're probably Rob. In the end though I suppose anybody in that situation should really ask the DMV just to really cover their @$$

That's what I was thinking but isn't that tampering? Talk about legal grey area.....:banghead:

then that means im in a lot of trouble....i recently swaped my dart to a cuda rally dash and i moved the tag to the cuda dash frame ....now that its all together the car has the original tag that match all the body numbers and title thats in my name.

uh-oh ...i did it in public too lol ....all the pics step by step are here on FABO
so the world knows what i did lol.

uh-oh LOL

then that means im in a lot of trouble....i recently swaped my dart to a cuda rally dash and i moved the tag to the cuda dash frame ....now that its all together the car has the original tag that match all the body numbers and title thats in my name.

uh-oh ...i did it in public too lol ....all the pics step by step are here on FABO

uh-oh LOL
yep, you are in big trouble young lady :D

If I'm not mistaken it is a felony to tamper at all with a vin plate or cover it from view. Whatbif, hypothetically, I had a car with a rusted dash and had to switch another dash into the car? Would I swap tags or leave them? I've always wondered.

There are procedures, I guess you better ask your individual state DMV. Bodymen repair cars all the time that have at least one VIN damaged, so there IS a procedure. I'm just gonna say that IF you have the "real car" with it's (later models) "other" VIN's intact, and have the title, etc for that car, then you're OK.

It's when you start showing up with some orphan VIN and maybe a title that things get sticky, and that's exactly why modern cars have more than one VIN

I'm kind of curious, you guys have a huge issue with selling VIN's. is there a bigger issue with it that I don't know about? I have seen some really awesome cars that had no title. And I wouldn't think twice about changing dashes to get me something to cruise. What am I not seeing that makes this so bad?

It's called Vin Tampering, and it's a crime big time.

Every state will be different. Salvage titles, abandoned vehicle tiles, state assigned VINS. AZ would issue an abandoned vehicle title for anything left on your property for longer than 30 days, after they tried to contact the previous owner. Washington state, from my understanding, the State Patrol will come and get the VIN After attempting to contact the owner they will then dispatch a wrecker and off to the crusher it goes. Neighbor just cleared out his yard and this is what he went thru. I would guess that as long as the VIN stays with the car a dash swap is not a big deal.....providing that the vin that was on the rusty dash went on the replacement dash..... But putting the dash from car a into car b without swapping the vin tag from car b's dash is illegal. If you have both titles and both cars are the same models it turns grey at best......but to take the dash/vin from a Cuda and put it into the Dart?? What is your plan when you go to register it? Sell to the car to a person out of state and they will have a serious problem, depending om the state. Bring a car into AZ and they check the vin.....into WA state they do not.....or at least did not up to a few years ago. Never mind the fact that insurance companies will have an issue with the wrong vin......Insuring the bike with a state assigned VIN the first time was a pain in the a**....it is only 8 digits or so and the insurance software kicks it out.

For that matter every state I have lived in will not scrap a vehicle without the title. There need to verify that it is truly your car, and not one that you stole, stripped and are trying to get rid of the leftover incriminating evidence.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/fraud.html has some stuff that talks about vin cloning and title fraud...

I learned something here, I removed a dash from a 73 Barracuda and sold it about 20 years ago, I wonder where it is now :toothy9:

OK.. What about selling tittles ? I have seen this many times at swap meets
and I would like some in-site on it if anyone can in-lighten me.
Sorry if it is off topic :toothy9:

Selling titles is the same deal, VIN Tampering, because it encourages illegal activities. Steal a nice car in one state, sell it with a wrong title in another, or ship it off to a foreign country where they don't care.

uh-oh LOL
Shame on you rani ! Shame Shame ! Now go to your room ! lmao ...... replacing a rusted out dash I see as nothing as long as you put the vin plate back . And if the new dash comes with a vin plate scrap that plate . See thats why i like 63 to 66 A bodies its in the door gap lmao

Shame on you rani ! Shame Shame ! Now go to your room ! lmao ...... replacing a rusted out dash I see as nothing as long as you put the vin plate back . And if the new dash comes with a vin plate scrap that plate . See thats why i like 63 to 66 A bodies its in the door gap lmao

actually the original dash was not even rusty .....i just wanted the ralley set up so i can look at a 150 MPH speedometer and dream about burying the needle on Telladega with Richard Petty in my rear view mirror unsuccessfully trying to get around me as i cross the finish line to victory lane.

then i wake up and remember that its a slant six car BWAHAHHAHAHAHA

besides ....this is Southern Colorado.......what is this rust stuff ppl talk about??? .....i dont know what they are talking about BWAHAHAHHAA:evil2:

Its the same thing rani like i was going to do a swap in my old dakota I would have had to change the vin on it . (even tho i owned the parts truck too )

-
Back