I can't believe I'm even considering this but...

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
having to drive 40 miles one way to work is killing me on gas. My V10 gets about 11 MPG which is great, for a V10, but it sucks for a daily commuter vehicle. So I'm thinking about getting a ..GULP.. VW Jetta wagon with the 1.9L diesel. At 47 MPG and diesel to boot it would probably pay for itself over the V10.

I know some of you here own other make vehicles but I haven't owned anything but a Mopar for well over 25 years. So I'm not sure how that is going to go.

HawaiiDuster said:
We understand that you have to do it so you'll have more money for your mopar :p

Yeah but it's creeping me out. Why can't I buy a Japanese diesel, or a neutral country like Norway or something?

Yeah I've thought about them as well. Not as good fuel mileage and not the same cargo capability. Plus they still burn gasoline. Diesel is cheaper.

Guitar Jones said:
Yeah I've thought about them as well. Not as good fuel mileage and not the same cargo capability. Plus they still burn gasoline. Diesel is cheaper.

Maintenance can get a little more pricey with the diesel I would imagine.

Well the maintenance we do on heavy trucks is for sure, but at 1.9L's I don't think it would be that much more. Just more fuel filters. Diesels don't have to change the oil as often as gasoline engines, though it gets really nasty looking quickly.

Hey, I'm considering buying a Mini Cooper. They get good gas milage, and are fun to drive too. They are surprisingly roomy inside. I fit comfortably in them, and I'm 6'3".

Guitar Jones said:
Yeah that would work for me but the wife wants something nice to drive on the weekends too.
Well, you just don't have her thinking the right way! I AM the wife and I like da Mopars!! :wink:

She drove a 74 Dart slant six for quite a few years. Her Dakota has 376,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. It aint that, I'm wanting a diesel car for the mileage, she wants a nice vehicle for the weekends. VW is the only manufacturer selling a diesel in a car these days here. She'd be happy with a Grand Cherokee, but that isn't any better than what we have now as far as fuel mileage goes.

Hey we get 18.5 mpg in my wifes Grand Cherokee. Not bad for a V8. I don't think I'm gettin much better w/ my 98 Chevy truck w/ a 4.3 V6.

Well we just picked it up. Took awhile to get the one the wife wanted.

2004656008239188811652.jpg

2004653345004346069042.jpg

Jetta GLS diesel 5 speed. I fully expect to get 50 mpg with this car. It has good pick up, the power to weight ratio is slightly better than my V10 dually so it has ample power. It's nice and tight, rides good, handles well and it's quiet. I'm thinking I'm going to like this car.

-
Back