I Chose the 383 Big Block

-
I bought 2 used 383s because that's what was available for dirt cheap.
Not disappointed at all.
Aluminum heads and a tunnel ram, enjoy.
This is the Big Block A Body Tech forum after all.

I love how people always cry about the weight of big blocks. There's only about 150 pounds difference between a 360 and a 440. The 383 has a 4.250 bore. Say that ten times. Maybe it'll sink in. If not, you need help.

I love how people always cry about the weight of big blocks. There's only about 150 pounds difference between a 360 and a 440. The 383 has a 4.250 bore. Say that ten times. Maybe it'll sink in. If not, you need help.
People will go on endlessly over the cid and bore difference between a 318 and 340/360 but an extra 23-43 cid plus a 1/4" bore waste of time. Funny how no replacement for displacement/bore ends at 360/408.
If you don't mind a square engine you could be running around with 496 instead of 408.

People will go on endlessly over the cid and bore difference between a 318 and 340/360 but an extra 23-43 cid plus a 1/4" bore waste of time. Funny how no replacement for displacement/bore ends at 360/408.
If you don't mind a square engine you could be running around with 496 instead of 408.
I have a square engine in my truck. The Ford 400. A lot of people wrongly claim they are junk, but in reality they're one of Ford's best engines. What's not to love about a square tall deck 400 cube Cleveland? It's a torque monster.

Call Ken at Oregon Cams and tell him exactly what you're looking for. He will steer you right.
A strong second to this! Ken has ground me 3 different cams and each one has performed better than expectations in the engine they went in. Also, there isn't anything wrong with a 383. You do you. You're also in the right place to get quality advice if you can sift through the pontificators. Welcome to FABO.

A strong second to this! Ken has ground me 3 different cams and each one has performed better than expectations in the engine they went in. Also, there isn't anything wrong with a 383. You do you. You're also in the right place to get quality advice if you can sift through the pontificators. Welcome to FABO.
Make that a third. Ken's ground a few for me and a few for a local friend. I cannot say enough good about him.

But there is nothing more beautiful as far as a big block tucked into and A body. Oh, how sweet it is.

If you had read my reply, I don’t think you’d be writing what you did. As to directly reply to your post, I agree.

For clarification purposes only. I have had a low deck B-400 in a ‘71 Duster w/a 727 & 4.88 gears. The car was gutted and a pair of basic race buckets installed. SS springs, 6 cylinder bars, manual steering & brakes, drums in all 4 corners.

If you had read my reply, I don’t think you’d be writing what you did. As to directly reply to your post, I agree.

For clarification purposes only. I have had a low deck B-400 in a ‘71 Duster w/a 727 & 4.88 gears. The car was gutted and a pair of basic race buckets installed. SS springs, 6 cylinder bars, manual steering & brakes, drums in all 4 corners.
Oh dude that was my opinion nothing meant to be offensive. I don’t think I said anything offensive.

But there is nothing more beautiful as far as a big block tucked into and A body. Oh, how sweet it is.
I once helped a friend install a 383 with 727 in a 69 dart. Fender well headers and engine plate. It was an experience. Had to set the rear up also get pinion angle and weld the perches.

Last edited:
The 1st engine I put in my B'cuda(many years ago) was a 383 I literally threw together with parts laying around the shop and a 484 purple cam. I hoped it would stay together long enough to sell the car. I(obviously) never sold it. I beat that poor 383 ruthlessly for many years...it didn't make the most power but it also was no slouch for what it was...it ran fine until the day I pulled it....pretty good testament to those lowly 383s

Now a roller cammed,Eddy headed "little"400/470 lives there. appearance wise, not much different.....performance wise a LOT different! My little fish will never see a small block......big block a-bodies have a way of putting a big smile on your face!

What are your thoughts on salvaging this piston on my 383? The rings are sticking pretty bad, its the culprit on the engine seizing up. All the others look good.

383 Mopar Piston.jpg

-
Back