I Chose the 383 Big Block

-
Nothing personal against your choice, but I never understood the 383 swap. 23 cubes over a 360, with big block weight?

Nothing personal against your choice, but I never understood the 383 swap. 23 cubes over a 360, with big block weight?

Shorter stroke, bigger bore, better heads?

But the biggest reason.....the distributor is in the front so you don't have to be an acrobat and contortionist to loosen or tighten the hold down. :D

The Nothing personal against your choice, but I never understood the 383 swap. 23 cubes over a 360, with big block weight?
The big blocks extra weight disappears pretty darn quickly when you add the aluminum part you find and would do on a small block. If memory serves…. The big block becomes lighter. Check out “MoPar Joe” & “318willrun” on YouTube for his video on this.

I have run both series engines n the same car before and the all iron B engine had a noticeable weight gain and handling difference in the ‘79 B body. It wasn’t horrible but just noticeable.

The biggest weight savings in a big block is the water pump housing, heads and intake. The water pump is a minor plus and would naturally be included as a weight total with the housing.
Shorter stroke, bigger bore, better heads?
Better heads in the aftermarket “IF” you go there. Love the big bore short stroke combo.
But the biggest reason.....the distributor is in the front so you don't have to be an acrobat and contortionist to loosen or tighten the hold down. :D
Sorry you’re getting old with a bad back… I feel ya there, because I’m there! But it’s nice big deal. Just a is what it is thing IMO.
:lol:
I a-member when 383 was the choice engine in a Mopar...small block stuff wasn't the rage at all...
From when I was a kid, the 3 engines were the 340, 383 & the 440 to chose from. That’s it! Nothing else was discussed. The 383 was 4 times as popular as the 440 due to numbers produced. The 440 was sought after but normally you would find 383’s blazing down the back alley ways doing battle.

As the ‘70’s turned into the ‘80’s, more and more 440’s came to the front lines. The 383 was becoming shunned.

I'd say 383 has more potential mainly due to bore size, but for an average build it's a coin toss,
Depends what platform you want to invest in.

Better heads in the aftermarket “IF” you go there. Love the big bore short stroke combo.

I assumed the BB head would be better than an iron SB head, but just a guess. At least the BB head can take a bigger valve, right?

Sorry you’re getting old with a bad back… I feel ya there, because I’m there! But it’s nice big deal. Just a is what it is thing IMO.
:lol:

You're not wrong. I'm actually coming up on 4 months since I had a burst fracture of my L4, thankfully no surgery required.

Either way, it was more a joke. And I am kicking the distributor to the curb on my next swap. :D

I assumed the BB head would be better than an iron SB head, but just a guess. At least the BB head can take a bigger valve, right?

Yes to a bigger valve. It’s just the OEM head ports do not flow as well as one would think. The aftermarket solved that. Porting your own iron heads can be a great cost savings and produce excellent flow. The 906/452, etc… very good heads to port. 300 & plus cfm available if it’s done right. Of course there still heavy and it takes time. Money if you can’t port and have to pay the man…. The. I’d consider aluminum. Even more so since I don’t know how to correctly port a head. I gotta a guy…..
You're not wrong. I'm actually coming up on 4 months since I had a burst fracture of my L4, thankfully no surgery required.

Holy crap! I was just joking but daaaaaaaaaaaang!
Hope all heals well.

Either way, it was more a joke. And I am kicking the distributor to the curb on my next swap. :D

I figured it was a joke and so was my response.

Crank trigger?

The same weight saving tricks for the 383 can also be done to the small block...

The same weight saving tricks for the 383 can also be done to the small block...
True but the issue is everyone thinks the sbm weight is fine but bbm is not, but reality is by time it's swapped in it's generally fairly close to sbm weight unless you keep it 100% stock.

Uh-huuuu, I did mention that. The big block weight savings is pretty good IMO.
TBF I'm sure you did. I'm traveling for work and haven't had time to read all the posts.

I'm not knocking OP, I just figured I'd go big or go home.

TBF I'm sure you did. I'm traveling for work and haven't had time to read all the posts.
No worries
I'm not knocking OP, I just figured I'd go big or go home.
It’s always great to go big and make power easier.
He’s is going bigger. But this is always the case on the forum. If you don’t go big, it turns into a bashing through many posts re stating it. A few even dog pile on it.

When does it end? If you put a 440 in a car, then next quip is why didn’t you (spend more money that may not be available to the person and) stroke the 440 to ***?

Some of us aren’t so lucky as to throw money at a build like the U.S. Government throws money at its problems, real or perceived.

(LMAO!)

Considering a small block can be made to power a duster into the low 10’s all day long, a thing we see in bracket racing, 9 second cars dialing it down to run the 10.0’s, anything bigger should just make it easier and most likely with less. I don’t see a problem with small block power nor do I see an issue with “JUST A 383” since it’s bigger and can be made very light.

This is a non-directed at you rant which is over supporting the OP and the lowly 383 which is more than enough to have a great time with and/or to fast with.

That's next.
383s are great engines! About 60 years ago, I got a used 383 with an 883 trans to put it in a 63 dart, after I had worn out the /6. The 383/883 had been sitting out and wouldn't turn over. I pulled the heads, and the rings were rusted to the cylinder walls. Soaking did not get them free. I pulled the crank and used a puller to break loose each piston. Attached the puller to the head bolts, used a block of wood on the top of the pistons, and cranked down until they popped. Did a light hone, put it back together, and the thing ran great. I replaced the rings, bearings, and timing chain.

383s are great engines! About 60 years ago, I got a used 383 with an 883 trans to put it in a 63 dart, after I had worn out the /6. The 383/883 had been sitting out and wouldn't turn over. I pulled the heads, and the rings were rusted to the cylinder walls. Soaking did not get them free. I pulled the crank and used a puller to break loose each piston. Attached the puller to the head bolts, used a block of wood on the top of the pistons, and cranked down until they popped. Did a light hone, put it back together, and the thing ran great. I replaced the rings, bearings, and timing chain.
Pb blaster did the trick again! I soaked it for a week and pulled one head, wasn't easy but it moving! Thanks for your story brother!!

20240420_105059.jpg

20240420_093048.jpg

20240420_093158.jpg

Now your story begins.

I strongly suggest you replace the timing chain.

No worries

It’s always great to go big and make power easier.
He’s is going bigger. But this is always the case on the forum. If you don’t go big, it turns into a bashing through many posts re stating it. A few even dog pile on it.

When does it end? If you put a 440 in a car, then next quip is why didn’t you (spend more money that may not be available to the person and) stroke the 440 to ***?

Some of us aren’t so lucky as to throw money at a build like the U.S. Government throws money at its problems, real or perceived.

(LMAO!)

Considering a small block can be made to power a duster into the low 10’s all day long, a thing we see in bracket racing, 9 second cars dialing it down to run the 10.0’s, anything bigger should just make it easier and most likely with less. I don’t see a problem with small block power nor do I see an issue with “JUST A 383” since it’s bigger and can be made very light.

This is a non-directed at you rant which is over supporting the OP and the lowly 383 which is more than enough to have a great time with and/or to fast with.
But there is nothing more beautiful as far as a big block tucked into and A body. Oh, how sweet it is.

-
Back