I cut a big hole!!! IN MY CAMPER ROOF

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I have looked in vain, for actually years, for a really good buy on a small, light, not over-equipped, FAIRLY priced pop up camper. I have this cool little guy, not much into it, but now that I'm old, "no headroom" is a real issue. Couple years ago I bought a used Tundra fiberglass bed cover / tonneau for a bit over a hundred, and now I've gone way too far. I was/ am going to use a tent for the material--in order to get a rear zippered opening/ screened/ vent. I'd like to get better than that (light material) but may change later on. Framework, heavily chaulked to roof top is pressure treated 2x4's. So far I've used FOUR tubes of DAP230 caulk.

Starting work. Top came with all hardware, but I'm not sure I can use the gas shock system, as the tent material may interfere
IMG_1909cs.JPG

The little thing is approx 6 1/2ft nearly square. Bedding goes crosswise up front, across two plywood boards, Came with a GREAT mattress, which folds in half. I store gear under the bedding when in place, in those big plastic bins
IMG_1911cs.JPG

"Jigged up" not sure yet on the rear height. I'd like to be up against the bed, approx midpoint in the camper, and still stand up
IMG_1912cs.JPG

IMG_1913cs.JPG

Aluminum strips are like big washers, lag bolts holding the framing on top
IMG_1915cs.JPG

IMG_1919cs.JPG

IMG_1928cs.JPG

Been raining, finally stopped this afternoon and I took a gamble. Pulled the top off with the tractor (just two temporary bolts in the hinge) and cut it open. I'm planning on fastening a motorbike inner tube across the inside of the front hing area to seal that for sure, and then probably a bent aluminum "windshield" on the exterior in front of the top to try and deflect high speed road spray
IMG_1937cs.JPG

Last edited:
Cool cloudy day. the "Bloomsday" foot race in Spokamentro, by the way. Sawed the roof out rough, time for the vacuum.
So with the new roof propped open about where the gas shocks would take it, I can stand full height here about the midpoint of the camper. But normally the bed has already begun, so this is more than enough

IMG_1940cs.JPG

Originally gas struts mounted here on sides, but tent will be here, and I don't think I can do that without getting the material all tangled up/ damaged/ etc
IMG_1941cs.JPG

So, below, I think I can mount them something like this along the back edge. This is outside the weather seal, but under the rear edge, so should not be too exposed
IMG_1942cs.JPG

IMG_1944cs.JPG

Well at least mine "may not" be as bad as some. Yes, that's right, this is a shell mounted on top of another shell, on an old Ford Ranger

CamperCamper.JPG

We're having unpredictable thunderstorm showers, making it a bit difficult. Made some progress though. About 1/2 hour before this was taken, the top was upside down on the Dakota bed, getting the tent material roughed in. It is fastened via 10-24 panhead screws and nuts, with long strips of aluminum. Once I get it together, I'll pull the screws one at a time, put on washers, dope them with sealer, and put 'em back in. Part of the reason I used a tent instead of generic canvas, is that is an easy way of getting a Great Big Screened Vent without a lot of money This was a 3 or 4 man domed tent

Here, the lower part is just hanging. It will be fastened to the rear of the camper top opening.

Objects hanging out are 3/4 foam pipe insulation, which I fastened to the 2x4's outboard of the factory seals, to encourage a more reliable seal, "I hope." I will of course trim them to length
IMG_1969cs.JPG

Below.....Looking cornerwise to the rear top corner, showing the aluminum strip. Material above is scrap, will get trimmed, the lower part is draping down and will be similarly fastened to the rear and sides of the camper top
IMG_1970cs.JPG

Below....The front hinge area. Not cleaned up yet, this is a motorbike tube to add insurance to the front seal. The 2x4 below and insulation will be covered with aluminum strip plus right angle material to wrap under ceiling. I bent the camper metal top up vertical against the insides of the 2x4's all 4 sides, and it is heavily caulked, hopefully, "no leaks". Front has inner tube pieces up under the front outer corners of the hinge area, plus the tube you see. I'm going to build an aluminum windshield in front of the hinge area to further discourage wind blown weather from coming in This is a weak point of the top design, which originally, of course, was shielded by the pickup cab.
IMG_1971cs.JPG

Probably next---before fastening the lower part of the tent--well be to determine if I can adapt the gas shocks, and if not, device a prop system, because whatever that amounts to will determine vertical height, and hence, positioning of the lower canvas anchor points.

Last edited:
I was looking for 12v electric hatch motors (for my boat) and came across some very inexpensive and fairly strong screw jacks on Amazon. Might be worth looking into for your project. They were like 325 pounds lifting strength and 24” of rise. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Edited to add;
Amazon.com : boat engine hatch lift actuator

Last edited:
Thanks, I will look into that. Problem is room. Original were along the inside edge of the frame, and now the tent material is there.

A little more tonight. Got the lift mechanisms roughed in, they need a hinge at the bottom to allow articulation due to the top opening in an arc.

Closed. The top has a bit of rear overhang which I wanted, could have used more, to help provide drip protection for the rear door below

IMG_1972cs.JPG

Partway up. These were mounted along the sides, so they did not need to tilt in what is now the front/ rear direction. Planning to maybe mount the bottom anchors on hinges
IMG_1973cs.JPG

IMG_1974cs.JPG

Pretty much up. When I get these under control, and of course lock in the height this will open, I can start fastening the lower part of the tent to the camper. I'm hoping this is the last time, for awhile, the top must be removed.
IMG_1975cs.JPG

Not too shabby for an old geezer. Certainly better than I can do.

Damn, mr. Del, why can't you be 40 years old.... they don't make newer model men like they used to.

I'm really surprised you don't have a lady friend helping you out with these projects and then making you some chili beans and play a card game in the newly revised camper.

How's the scamp project going?

I haven't touched it. Wasn't that long ago it was snowy, cold, rainy, barely up above freezing to maybe 40. Funny I was just thinking of getting it uncovered RIGHT AFTER I get the camper done. I want to get this DONE or at least useable and watertight

That rear vent should work GREAT. It is going to take up the entire vertical area of the rear area, and ?? 2/3 or so horizontally. The camper side windows both slide open / screened so there should be lots of ventilation.

The top, I found, when drilling it, is actually "double walled." the drill goes through and bangs against the other side, I used 1 1/2 " screws so it is quite thick. This should help maintain some insulation in what little cold use it for.

Can you take some pictures a little further away and show the whole thing up and down? What a great idea.

Ain't no grass growing under Del's feet! Good for you to keep busy, in spite of the injuries and setbacks you've been through.

Can you take some pictures a little further away and show the whole thing up and down? What a great idea.
This is the best I can do for now, early states of looking it over. This is a Tundra bed over approx 5' overall. The little camper is nearly square, about 6 1/2 ft or so each way

img_1913cs-jpg.jpg

I've looked and looked for a reasonably priced popup, and just tonight saw an 86 that's right, EIGHTY six "Four Wheel Camper" for just under TEN GRAND. Now that brand is likely best of any of them, but nearly 10 for one that old is ridiculous.

Del, how are you sealing it, and can you get some more pics of how you did. The gasket?

I am STILL screwin' with this between thunderstorms. But I made a big score. There's a little store in Spokane, the "Junxtore" that has a bunch of "junk" and a RACK of thick aluminum sheet. I'd bought some there, made the dash for the old Sea King boat out of that, but what I have left would have to be joined to be long enough......to make the intended wind deflector for the front of the top.

Yesterday I went in and spent 100 on aluminum. One piece is the perfect width, and even has the protective plastic on one side. Cut it to length last night, and rounded the top corners, and WAS gonna get it on there this morning. But it rained last night and is very threatening this morning. It's only 6:50AM as I'm typing this

I don't have photos yet of the so called seals

For the front hinge, I cut open a motorbike tube and incorporated that with the hinge, which already has a backing strip and several (now) bolts across the front. That should be pretty tight, especially with the front "windshield."

Along the sides are the factory seals, which seam fairly tight, and they, atop the factory frame, sits on the inside edge of flat pressure treated 2x4's. These are heavily caulked to the roof. So outboard of the frame, and still on top of the 2x4's I fastened 2/4" foam plumbing insulation to act as seconary seals, and they "nussle" right up and into the curvature of the factory ones. Then, just outboard of the 2x4's I cut "splash shields" out of the left-over roof material, and screwed them, vertically, to the outboard sides of the 2x4's. They are very close to the top of the bed cover. So "coming in" from the outside, you have the splash shields, the plumbing foam, and then the factory shields. THEN you have tent material which is itself at least somewhat waterproof.

For the rear, I have not yet done anything.

Below, the 2x4's are "severely caulked to the roof, the black is a piece of inner tube to seal the corner--wraps around the corner and over th etop.

IMG_1978cs.JPG

Below, trying to show how much tent droop--at the worst--with top closed. There are some toggles on the tent (factory) and I hope to attach some very light elastic to them and up to the top corners. This will help keep the slack out both up or down
IMG_1984cs.JPG

With the help of the neighbor, got the aluminum deflector on---intended to keep driving rain at speed, out of the hinge area, and slightly improve the look
IMG_1986cs.jpg

Side seals. Finger is on tops factory seal, foam is screwed to 2x4, and home made shields caulked to roof and screwed to 2x4's Top comes down, bottom edges about 3/8" above roof
IMG_1988cs.JPG

Front hinge inside. Strip is factory, the rubber is a motorbike inner tube
IMG_1989cs.JPG

Another view of the new side shields
IMG_1990cs.jpg

View of the new front deflector, just barely hits the front of the top
IMG_1991cs.JPG

Well I tossed it back on the truck. It's not done inside, but I think it's weathertight--at least enough for the road, with the top down. "We'll see." Might just be able to try it with the weather report. Takes about 5 seconds to put it up, and maybe 15 back down---most of that to check side to side and make sure the tent is tucked in

IMG_1992cs.JPG

IMG_1993cs.JPG

IMG_1994cs.JPG

IMG_1995cs.JPG

Del, that's actually turned out pretty dang good!

Well, CRAP. We had a REAL gully washer tonight. I mean REALLY. I got out on the freeway for a short spurt, and you could not safely drive over 50. You could not SEE!!! Wipers on "real" fast, lol. There was water clear over the curbs on many streets, and water, deep water, clear out to the middle of the street. Anyhow, "we have a leak. Looks like it's in the front 2x4 across the front, so things, at least part of them, have to come apart.

Sides and back, LOL appear fine

-
Back