i.d.ing round holes on 904 housing

-

Double Six

Reaction score
new to this trans thing,what are the 2 holes for on left side of trans cover? I think one may be speed ometer cable,what would the other be ? Thanks ,Double Six:???:

The speedo hole is on the left side of the tail housing. About 2 inches or so diameter with a threaded bolt hole next to it for the clamp.

Not sure where on the trans you're talking about. Can you take a picture?

One is at tail of trans about 1 1/2 in. diameter. The other is right beside shift lever, it has threads and is smaller.about an inch in diameter.

Sounds like the one on the tail is the speedometer connection but if it's just a hole with nothing in it the speedometer gear and adapter are missing. My guess is the front one is for the neutral safety switch. Those are my best guesses by your description. If you can post a picture I can verify that's correct

I think fishy's got it. The only other holes I can think of on the left side are the kickdown/shift selector up above the pan or the hole where the kickdown lever pivot rod screws in up on the bellhousing.

fishy 68 you're right, I found a haynes manual today and it identified them the same as you did. I'm sorry to say though, that I'm missing those parts. I bought it from a guy on CL and I didnt really pay attention to what was missing. Thanks to all of you guys for taking the time and effort to answer my question. Double Six

Those parts aren't hard to find. The neutral safety switch and speedometer adapter and gear can be bought pretty cheap at www.wittrans.com Just look up your transmission and click on the part you need and a window will open up with the part number and price. The speedometer gear is the only variable because different gears are used depending on what gear ratio and rear tire size the car has.

-
Back